1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

can you have a cat and have chickens 2??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cat1994, Sep 18, 2010.

1. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    hi, i like cats and i need a mouser in my barn [​IMG] , but i have chickens, so what do i do [​IMG] , can i have chickens and a cat or will the cat kill the chickens or the chicks they raise. [​IMG] what if i got that cat when it was a kitten and it grew up around the chicks and chickens do you still think it would kill them, i hear all these sad stories about a cat that killed some chicks and i just dont want that to happen to me

so id like to know is it ok to have a cat and have chickens?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  2. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    I have three indoor/outdoor cats as well as the occasional dumped stray and have never had a problem with them going after adult chickens. One of my cats did make a try for a chick, but the broody momma hen taught her better. My cats were here before the chickens so either way you go I don't think it's likely to be a problem. I have seen an occasional thread where folks have felt that a cat was getting their birds, but most (not all, but most) of the time a raccoon, possum, hawk or other wild predator still seemed to be the most likely problem.

3. PhilErvin

PhilErvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    I have some ferril cats that hang out around my shed. I hope they are catching rodents so I don't bother them. They stay their distance from me and run when I come around. My girls are all full grown as is my roo and I have never seen the cats pay any attention to my girls. I wouldn't tempt a cat around my chicks unless they were hatched and raised by a hen, because she would attack a cat if need be. If I were you, I would get a cat. If your girls are full grown I wouldn't worry about the cat. [​IMG]

4. erin76

erin76 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    Battle Ground, WA
    I have an indoor/outdoor cat who THINKS she can stalk the chickens....it is quite funny to watch the chickens get after her and chase her away!

5. LauraG

LauraG Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Upstate, NY
    My 2 cats get their asses handed to them by my 20 week old chickens.

I was worried sick over the big bad hunters getting my chickens, but its quite the opposite.......

6. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    I've had chickens for over 25 yrs and cats for close to 70--only had one problem with the two. The first year we had chicks at this place--25 yrs ago--I brooded them on the floor of a side room down in the cellar. Someone left the door open and our 6-yr old cat got in and kill two 2-week old chicks. After that never had a problem after the birds feathered out enough to look like chickens and 3 of my current 5 cats are outdoors all day same as the chickens. In fact, my 13-yr old cat helps me close them up at night. IMHO it would take a very big, very hungry cat to do any damage to a full sized chicken--even a full grown bantam would not be a likely target. I know there are those on here that will tell you otherwise but I still am skeptical. I once had a cat that brought a full grown cottontail rabbit into out cellar through a window that was 5 feet above the ground and she never bothered a chicken.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  7. denim deb

denim deb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    When I feed my horses, I'm followed around by both a cat and a chicken.

8. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    my cats never bother my chickens once they are old enough to be outside. Big chickens? no way! I'd never leave fuzzy chicks where a cat can get to them, but my outdoor cats won't even look twice at my 10 week and up chicks/keets.

9. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    We have a Cat and chickens. I have never had an issue with adult hens and the cat, however baby unguarded chicks I think would be a target. I have seen Feral cats go for and kill an adult hen litterally in seconds ( It actually even grabed the dead hen and took it away and it was a very big hen!) but I've never seen a house cat go for hens ever. Here recently a group of adult chickens pecked a Fox to death in a hen house - poor thing got in thinking it would get a free meal and the chickens turned on him and killed him so they can well look after themselves if they have to.

Oesdog - Get the cat! It will help with rodents and you always get them were there is chicken feed.

10. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    [​IMG] thanks for all the replies im def. going to get a cat now [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by