Can you/should you wrap the keel area on a duck with a pressure sore to the area?

MisaF

Songster
5 Years
Jul 25, 2018
Montgomery, NY
Hi all! We have an older (maybe 5 or 6) female Pekin that we rescued a few years ago. She is NOT a fan of humans so handling her has always been an issue. We noticed she seemed off yesterday so we were able to grab her quickly and give her a once over. She has, what looks like, a large pressure sore on her keel area. She's a big duck, but by no means is she fat, but she is a heavy breed. The wound is crusted over and not actively bleeding, but it looks like it's been there a while and looks an awful lot like a pressure sore. I washed it, sprayed with Vetrimycin, and followed up with silver sulfadiazine cream. I also started her on 5 days of antibiotics and some B vitamins. The good news is she is back to seeming like herself today so we are hopeful we can deal with this and keep her comfortable.

My question is, can I wrap that area on a duck? Is there a method to wrap it appropriately? I haven't been able to find any info on here or through google for wrapping this specific area of a duck. I feel like she would benefit from some padding on that area but am just not sure how to go about wrapping it.

Any guidance would be appreciated!

Finally got photos but they aren't really that great. This girl is a handful. The wound is about 5 inches long and is a straight line up her keel bone. It's hard to see from the photo but it would be where her body meets the grounds if she was lying down. Her feathers are in really rough shape lately and I think they aren't protecting her as well as they should. She is an older gal who had a tough life before she came to us.

Attachments

• IMG_6227.jpg
    IMG_6227.jpg
    485.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6226.jpg
    IMG_6226.jpg
    461.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6225.jpg
    IMG_6225.jpg
    458.6 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom