Can you taxidermy a rooster?

Pics
This post is embarrassing. You are joking right?
No, I'm not joking. The OP's post and subsequent posts were embarrassing. I'm done with this whole farce. The absolutely ignorant, illiterate and plain ass stupid questions that are answered ad nauseum on this forum are enough to make me leave. I didn't need the outright racism that is apparently glorified in this thread to help me leave---it was just the straw that broke the camel's back. See ya. Wouldn't wanna be ya.

Again though...all those feet are real and the eyes are inset into the skull. I really feel like they were trying to rip me off :mad:
I personally don't understand what you are mad about..

They offered a product described as they saw it.. AND you've had many folks tell you how taxidermy works.. It's VERY not life like and made with foam and other things.. that's WHY they tend to do hunting trophies and not do pets. Did you take photos?

So they don't appear to be liar.. just place a different value on the product than you did.. As the buyer you have the right to walk away.. and you can try to negotiate.. but why be mad that someone didn't agree to the value YOU placed on their product??? Ever buy art work? It's not usually cheap.

That's not ripping someone off or trying to to... it's selling a (poor quality) product.. Regarding inset of eyes and such.. it's a craft not ALL will be good at it. So the birds you were looking at were more crude.. different artist, different time, etc.. At least, that's how I would perceive it.

I'm glad you didn't buy it too, maybe you can pick it up at Goodwill next week! Or not since you think they're fake.

As a person, who's lost loved ones AND raises chickens plus seen hundreds of taxidermy birds at museums... why would someone come to an "estate sale" and like a complete arss over a lousy $30?! That's both greed AND arrogance.. :duc

Please remember raising chickens doesn't quite make us experts... and certainly doesn't teach us how to treat our fellow human beings.. but it does continue to grow our learning adventures! :wee

Also.. energy spent sweating things like this bring bad hormones. Let it go. Goose blah blah (deep breath). ;)

Kindness is healing! :hugs

I'm still on page one and reading the rest of the thread and mean to support you (while I learn), not ugliness. Can't wait to see what the outcome's been!:pop

I personally don't understand what you are mad about..

They offered a product described as they saw it.. AND you've had many folks tell you how taxidermy works.. It's VERY not life like and made with foam and other things.. that's WHY they tend to do hunting trophies and not do pets. Did you take photos?

So they don't appear to be liar.. just place a different value on the product than you did.. As the buyer you have the right to walk away.. and you can try to negotiate.. but why be mad that someone didn't agree to the value YOU placed on their product??? Ever buy art work? It's not usually cheap.

That's not ripping someone off or trying to to... it's selling a (poor quality) product.. Regarding inset of eyes and such.. it's a craft not ALL will be good at it. So the birds you were looking at were more crude.. different artist, different time, etc.. At least, that's how I would perceive it.

I'm glad you didn't buy it too, maybe you can pick it up at Goodwill next week! Or not since you think they're fake.

As a person, who's lost loved ones AND raises chickens plus seen hundreds of taxidermy birds at museums... why would someone come to an "estate sale" and like a complete arss over a lousy $30?! That's both greed AND arrogance.. :duc

Please remember raising chickens doesn't quite make us experts... and certainly doesn't teach us how to treat our fellow human beings.. but it does continue to grow our learning adventures! :wee

Also.. energy spent sweating things like this bring bad hormones. Let it go. Goose blah blah (deep breath). ;)

Kindness is healing! :hugs

I'm still on page one and reading the rest of the thread and mean to support you (while I learn), not ugliness. Can't wait to see what the outcome's been!:pop
Had they been 100 percent real taxodermied roos I would have said the 30 dollars was more than fair. And I would not have bought them because I am uninterested in buying a taxodermied bird. The thing that I was miffed about was that they are not taxodermied birds and they claimed that they were...going so far as to say they had an expert look at them. Thats a misrepresentation of a product which is false advertising. Anyway you're still reading along. Enjoy the conversation!

No, I didn't find it funny either.. but consider photo shop type software a viable suspect source for shocking images and realize there are psycho's everywhere.. acknowledging a little mad scientist (and occasional animal surgeon) inside myself.. :oops:

I agree that it looked appalling and like a train wreck.. but how little of that "rogue taxidermy" takes place pales in comparison to the heart break I (personally) feel about worldwide animal OVER consumption and farming practices in general.. I guess.. so not delightful, but too many other things for me to really considers images on the webs TOO deeply or allow them access into my heart, it's reserved for higher priorities! :hugs

I agree. (I know I say that a lot, but it’s true!)

I did consider photo shop, and while it’s a possibility, the image will stay with me forever as a window into how cruel humans can be.

I tried to write something in agreement to what you said about over consumption, but I think that what you said is true. It’s sad, but it’s what we have come to :(

Respectful is subjective like so many other things. :hmm

This was an interesting read on taxidermy, even if considered a generic resource..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxidermy

No, I didn't find it funny either.. but consider photo shop type software a viable suspect source for shocking images and realize there are psycho's everywhere.. acknowledging a little mad scientist (and occasional animal surgeon) inside myself.. :oops:

I agree that it looked appalling and like a train wreck.. but how little of that "rogue taxidermy" takes place pales in comparison to the heart break I (personally) feel about worldwide animal OVER consumption and farming practices in general.. I guess.. so not delightful, but too many other things for me to really considers images on the webs TOO deeply or allow them access into my heart, it's reserved for higher priorities! :hugs

Ya, it's weird to consider how our bodies will be desecrated after we pass. I don't want mine drained of blood and replaced with embalming chemicals before being stuck in an over priced box in a plot of land that was sold by someone who should not have had rights to it in the first place.. On one hand.. I think, toss me out to the buzzards. On the other hand I wonder if I could allow that for one of my kids or loved ones. That who respectful being subjective thing. :pop
They dont allow it (yet) here in the US but what you're referring to is called a "Sky burial" and they do it in Tibet. They have to because they dont have a choice. But you're very right about the expensive boxes. People pay big money for them. Even more for ones that supposedly are sealed but the fact of the matter is oncr putrification starts gases are emitted by the body and those sealed, worm proof coffins EXPLODE. Dont get me started on how bad formaldehyde is for the environment!

Its definitely possible, and from the sounds of it the ones you saw were poorly done. Birds tend to be much easier to taxidermy then mammals as you only need to shape the body form for the smaller ones but even then people will find ways to mess it up.

The comb would be a bit mummified most likely or it would need to be replaced with a fake one and I'm guessing for larger birds like a rooster they would also have to fill the legs as well. Its also possible they were vintage but if he was claiming to make them its unlikely.

I am not the most knowledgeable on the topic but I do know the basics and am planning my first mount when it gets warmer (a ethically sourced European starling)

Back
Top Bottom