@MGG i have a question about hatching - I have seen people say to make a safety hole after internally pipping so that the chick will not run out of air. How will I know when it’s internally pipped (candling?) and won’t it internally pip during lockdown so how will I open it to make a safety hole if I need to make one?

@MGG i have a question about hatching - I have seen people say to make a safety hole after internally pipping so that the chick will not run out of air. How will I know when it’s internally pipped (candling?) and won’t it internally pip during lockdown so how will I open it to make a safety hole if I need to make one?
Oops, sorry! I missed this.
Well, a lot of people (myself included) do candle during lockdown once they know what they're looking for. You only candle during lockdown to check on special needs eggs, and the eggs that are behind. You'll be able to see if they're internally pipped when candling. An internal pip looks like this.
(Borrowing your pic again, @CluckNDoodle . Hope you don't mind too much, it just shows an internal pip so well.)
5-29-20 Internally pipped Turkey.JPG.jpg

Once you notice an egg in internally pipped, you can wait 24 hours after that to see if it externally pips. If it does not, (and check the egg very well to be sure that there isn't just a tiny external pip that you didn't notice) you can candle again. Based on what you see when candling, you can decide if you'd want to make a safety hole or not.
I really don't like safety holes unless they're ABSOLUTELY necessary, which is rare. The only times that they would really be needed is with call ducks, or abnormal eggs (twins or something like that). In healthy eggs, it's important for the gases to build up inside the egg during hatch. These are what force the chick to externally pip. If a safety hole is made and the gases can just be released, the chick has no need to externally pip, and, as observed in my own eggs, just lay there for ages not doing anything and eventually die. I could not assist them because they hadn't finished absorbing yet. So, unless the circumstances are pretty dire, I wouldn't make any safety holes in your eggs.

Oops, sorry! I missed this.
Well, a lot of people (myself included) do candle during lockdown once they know what they're looking for. You only candle during lockdown to check on special needs eggs, and the eggs that are behind. You'll be able to see if they're internally pipped when candling. An internal pip looks like this.
(Borrowing your pic again, @CluckNDoodle . Hope you don't mind too much, it just shows an internal pip so well.)View attachment 2607974
Once you notice an egg in internally pipped, you can wait 24 hours after that to see if it externally pips. If it does not, (and check the egg very well to be sure that there isn't just a tiny external pip that you didn't notice) you can candle again. Based on what you see when candling, you can decide if you'd want to make a safety hole or not.
I really don't like safety holes unless they're ABSOLUTELY necessary, which is rare. The only times that they would really be needed is with call ducks, or abnormal eggs (twins or something like that). In healthy eggs, it's important for the gases to build up inside the egg during hatch. These are what force the chick to externally pip. If a safety hole is made and the gases can just be released, the chick has no need to externally pip, and, as observed in my own eggs, just lay there for ages not doing anything and eventually die. I could not assist them because they hadn't finished absorbing yet. So, unless the circumstances are pretty dire, I wouldn't make any safety holes in your eggs.
Ok then I won’t make any safety holes. So should I candle any eggs during lockdown? Will my eggs be better off if I do candle them and watch for internal pip? And what day of lockdown would I do it?

Ok then I won’t make any safety holes. So should I candle any eggs during lockdown? Will my eggs be better off if I do candle them and watch for internal pip? And what day of lockdown would I do it?
Well, you can, but I don't think it's necessary unless there's an egg that seems behind. (hasn't externally pipped yet when the others have, etc.)
I candle every day and all through lockdown (the most during lockdown, actually) because I think it's important that I keep a close eye on my eggs. Of course I'm not going to be able to save any if they're not ready to hatch yet, but I like to get a feel for how each baby acts, and I like to eggtopsy any quitters as close as possible to the time that they die so they don't decay too much.
I would just lock yours down as normal, raise the humidity, and wait. You should have a number of external pips on day 20.

Well, you can, but I don't think it's necessary unless there's an egg that seems behind. (hasn't externally pipped yet when the others have, etc.)
I candle every day and all through lockdown (the most during lockdown, actually) because I think it's important that I keep a close eye on my eggs. Of course I'm not going to be able to save any if they're not ready to hatch yet, but I like to get a feel for how each baby acts, and I like to eggtopsy any quitters as close as possible to the time that they die so they don't decay too much.
I would just lock yours down as normal, raise the humidity, and wait. You should have a number of external pips on day 20.
Thanks 😊

Back
Top Bottom