Can't believe I have to ask... Roo or Hen?!

fanov8

Songster
11 Years
May 17, 2010
East TN
Ok, this guy/gal was born on our farm back in October. I thought for sure it was a rooser since he/she started to show wattles and a comb at around 8 weeks or so. Well, now he/she is 4 months old and nothing. Not the first crow or even attempt to act like a rooster! I only have 2 hens and neither are laying right now so I just don't know what to think. Any help would be great. His/Her mother is the SLBW and the father was a mutt rooster that looks alot like he/she does. I'm so confused!

*********BIGGER PICS IN POST 5*******

edited to enlarge pictures

Last edited:
pics are too small to see clearly. even when clicking on, size stays the same.

Yeah, I even tried to resize them and wasn't able to. I don't know what the heck I did wrong. Let me see what else I can do to fix it!

Ah ha! I figured it out. It will not let me edit the orginal post with the new pics so I will add them here. Hopefully this will help! Thanks!

That worked! Do I see rooster feathers on the wing- they're darker than the white feathers around them and seem to have some shiny edging to them too? Part the feathers on back and by the tail to see if you see pin feathers with darker feathers like that coming up.. my guess if you see that, it's his roo feathers coming in.

If I had to guess right now, a slow maturing roo...

I agree, slow maturing rooster. If his daddy's still around that can inihibit him from crowing, or maybe he's just a late bloomer.

Love those late bloomers!

We had a chicken that I thought was a rooster, but my husband reassured me, "No, she's a pullet....she doesn't have any of the signs of a rooster."

Two months later, "she" started crowing. Now he is our top rooster.

Back
Top Bottom