CANT BELIEVE RESCUESHELTERS (smallrant)

annie3001

My Girls
13 Years
Jun 11, 2009
Ct.
okay hello everyone,
smile.png

so this is a rant about a bordercollie rescue in tennesse.
duc.gif

heres the story:

my mother in law and father in law back in the winter months of january here in ct, came upon a rescue bordercollie shelter and were making plans for their new dog.
smile.png

they were very excited for many weeks.
the day arrived and the dog was being driven up here (with some others too)and my mother in law was planning on the meet (more like exchange of the dog etc.)
the dog was handed over to my mother in law but, the dog escaped a very loose collar and ran......
ran very far,,,,so far, they couldnt catch her.
she ran into the woods, and was never seen again.
hit.gif

it was bitter cold the next few days. traps were set to get the dog, but did not work.
hit.gif

so there go's the family pet my mother in law and father in law had hoped they would get.
the dog was never seen. there were many attempts and all failed. it was sad.
hit.gif

so many months went by, the mil mourned for the dog, although never got to know,(they really wanted her)
so here we are in june.
Now they have made a new attempt to get another bordercollie, the same organzation.
idunno.gif

they met the people who brought up the dog (new location) my father in law was present, and they got the dog.
this one is a 3 year old. so arriving home with the new dog, (this is gross) they found over 60 ticks on her!!! and the dog still had poop on her butt.
she was awful.
hit.gif

my mil brought her to her vet,,,,,the dog also had open sores on her body. she needed antibiotics and stiches.
she was a mess.
duc.gif

the kicker: the border collie rescue place located in tennesse,took no responsbibilty.
duc.gif

i am shocked! my husbands parents are upset. they have already spent about $1000.00
ep.gif
on her...its exhausting for them.
she is doing better now shes in better hands.
clap.gif

owell.just thought id share a story about a dog. her name is cricket.
smile.png

Evidently that rescue is not well run, may have very limited funds, and or inexperienced people fostering the dogs. They should at least be upfront about each dog's issues. I am sorry for your folks to have this fall into their laps unexpectedly. I am happy however, they care enough to help that dog start over fresh, happy and healthy. Rescues can be great or as you found out not so great. I do hope the dog works out to be a great family pet for them.
smile.png

i know, i think if they were upfront about the condtion of the dog, that would have been more approriate. but the dog is in better hands! thank goodness!
smile.png

I would report them to your local Animal Control office. If they had one dog in that condition I can only imagine they would have others the same or worse. So nice that your relatives chose to adopt a homeless animal as opposed to buying, bravo to them and you!!

I am so glad they gave your in-laws a second chance. Sorry that they hadn't taken good care of the dog though.
sad.png
I would have expected better too, given that your in-laws applied for a dog in their care and then it took a certain amount of time to transport the girl up north.
The rescue should have been very upfront about the condition of the girl. But they also should have treated her for fleas, ticks and her wounds before placing her in a home.

i am shocked! my husbands parents are upset. they have already spent about $1000.00 on her...its exhausting for them.

How did they spend that much money? If it was at the vets for ticks and sores they should shop around for another vet. That's crazy.
I'm glad she is in good hands now.​

They are in CT. around here $1,000 for vet bills happens very quickly. It is $100 just to walk in the door. Good luck with the new dog, your inlaws are real animal lovers.

I found a BC on the roadside, took her to the vet and got her all fixed up with the intention of putting her in a BC rescue.. We didn't really *want* her; just saw her, knew what she was, felt bad, and stopped to get her. She needed vet care, so we did that too -- all with the intention of her going into a rescue!

The more we got to know her, the more we realized that she needed to go to someone with some room for her to be outside quite a bit, and that kids would be OK because she's super great with people, and that she wasn't the characteristic SUPERHYPER border collie...she's actually pretty lazy.
tongue.png
Oh, and she's hell on wheels with other dogs -- she must be an only dog for whoever got her.

I worked with a BC rescue, trying to see if they could find her a home. The lady who ran it called me up one day telling me she had just the perfect person for this dog. Super! Well, the 'perfect person' sent me an email...she lived in an apartment in some super urban area and wanted a border coliie she could take running in a dog park.

I was like...really? Apartment? Dog park? Running?

I emailed the lady back and said "If you plan on taking this particular dog to a dog park, make sure to have an attorney on speed dial because she WILL eventually eat someone's foofoo dog."

Strangely, I never heard back from that particular prospective parent.
gig.gif

We still have the dog, btw.. And, yeah, she's still a giant PITA with the other dogs.
lau.gif
Luckily, at this point, I pretty much know how to flush wounds and where to get antibiotics without having to pay a fortune.
lau.gif
hide.gif
Been like 4 years now that we've had her, and I wouldn't trade her for the world.

big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom