Cant give oyster shells

Quote:
Thank you soo much... I have looked into the feeds and have found 2 that I am comfortible with .... Yes my family have been living this way for generations... I can tell you what toothpast have lard in them... lol ..this is a very serious way of life for us... so what we learn we share with each other... WOW collagen well at leaste the cow is safe to eat... lol

The more the chickens can free range the more natural products they eat. There were feral chickens around here and they only ate what they found in nature and their shells were fine.
sharon

Quote:
mines free range all day, well they are fenced into over an acre in a half.... more than enough room for the 30 of them, I am soo scared to think about what they eat out there.... but i know they are huge for 9 weeks and they are getting bigger by the day

Quote:
I inquired about that also... was told that we don't eat the pearl... so no it isn't unclean ... but once the shell is degested into the chicken and becomes apart of the egg it is unclean to eat... idk i just dont want to take chances with it!! i would rather not give it to them and be safe

Even though I am Catholic, I have always respected the Kosher Jews. Heard the term Cafeteria Catholic? One who picks and chooses? Yeah...not for that...

I have some birds that just dont have as hard of shells as the others, and they all get the same diet..I dont really understand it. I think it might have to do with age..Two are just a bit other than the rest. I do the egg shells, and they get so many leftovers from our kitchen, they really dont need much more..

probably 90% of people dont give their chickens oyster shells. obviously 130% of people on here do, and will probably deny the 90% thing, but it is by no means a requirement. they get plenty of calcium in layer feed. its like someone taking a multivitamin daily vs someone who doesnt. it wont kill you, but it will help.

OK I have only seen 2 posts on here that brought up sand, so thought I'd post.

The sand is used like grit not for calcium, unless it is sea sand which would mean that there would in fact be oyster shell present as well as muscles, clams, don't know if those are no nos.

I know there are calcuim deposits in stone, but would that be enough?

Last edited:
Quote:
Because in my religion OYSTERS are unclean.... we eat kosher, if the chickens eat the oyster shells, then they become unclean and cannot be eaten!

Sorry - that is NOT halacha - the law. Oysters may not be eaten by people because anything which crawls on the ocean floor is not a kosher animal. Food from the sea must have gills and scales. Unclean is a badly translated term.

Chickens eat bugs, worms, frogs...and almost anything else when free ranging and this does not make the chicken, nor the eggs unkosher. In fact, the only law of kashrut which applies to eggs is that if the egg has a blood spot (fertile egg) then it must be considered meat and not parve.

The issue is having a nonkosher substance in the house or on the property. Follow the recommendations concerning calcium supplements other than shells and you'll be fine!
smile.png

BTW: At 9 weeks old, you need not worry right away - they'll need extra calcium only when they are closer to laying age.

just my 2 cents......

N.C chicken Owner :

Quote:
I heard that you have to grind it up into powder then I bet that you could put it on or mix it into something
smile.png

don't grind my egg shells. Just give them a quick crush with my hand. Also don't microwave them, bake them, or any of the other things people advise to do. I also feed them scrambled eggs. We call it "recycling"
smile.png
Old eggs into new eggs!​

Back
Top Bottom