Caring for Pekin Ducks in Cold Climates

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duckieinalaska, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Onewiththeducks

Onewiththeducks Chirping

Sep 17, 2012
    Alden,NY
    My Pekins finally got the point of their nesting boxes. They just started laying in them a couple weeks ago, and we made the boxes months ago.

2. Lupa Duende

Lupa Duende Chirping

Sep 7, 2012
    I have a male and female muscovy and a male pekin, all are rescues id that affects their behaviour...., but now that they are mature should the female not be laying eggs?

3. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Songster

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    I do not know about Muscovy, but my Pekins are laying. Sort of sporadically tho, not everyday like summer.

4. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Crowing

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Ducks are seasonal layers, it's truly not unusual for them to not lay in winter. None of mine are right now and i am fine with that it will return when the warmer season returns.

5. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Songster

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    Yes I agree, a little rest for the Ladies is okay with me.

6. hillfloweranch

hillfloweranch Songster

Dec 18, 2012
    Los Angeles, California
    my pekin ducks last summer...I got them from a friend in May and so far they so much fun to watch and I lucked out because I have a hen and a drake...eggs are wonderful..it's currently 20deg F but they seem to handle ok...The dog house and the smaller portable dog house with a corner tarped off seem to provide enough shelter they are handling the cold very well.

7. CountryGirl1984

CountryGirl1984 In the Brooder

Mar 14, 2013
    I bought a de-icer that I can put in the little kiddie pool that only turns on if its under a certain degree. I also bought a heat lamp and they just go in at night. They sleep on horse shavings. Never had a problem..they like the snow. I live is Northern Illinois.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: