Cashier or Self Check-out. Which do you prefer?

We have them in Walmart. I've used them a few times. One time when I had a lot of groceries and got tired of waiting. There pretty cool unless you have a lot, because most of the time the dang thing gets stuck after every third item that you don't want to bag. Then the girl doing her nails who is overlooking the self check stations, gets aggravated cause she has to keep coming over and punching in her code.
lol.png

I like them for just a few items, but really if you have more than one bags worth, you are in the wrong line.

My sons work for a major supermarket chain. To be honest, those newer checkers are probably only making a bit over minimum wage when you deduct union dues. The baggers are making less than min due to the dues.

They kind of feel the same way, use the self check if you have 5 things, more wait for a checker.

At our local home depot, we have a super helpful clerk, always pointing out something extra to sell you and telling you about most everything in your cart with something to up sell you. I am sure management loves her, but I would rather scan a pallet load myself than wait in her line if I am in a hurry. (I spend way too much time at Home Depot as it is! and I already know what I am buying. Today she was telling me not to take the toilet seats out of the plastic in case they did not work out for me. Hello I am buying a dozen at a time...you think I dont know what I am doing with them? Property Mananger)

I've never seen one of these "self-serve stations" in a store. BUT, I like the idea ! I worked for the Main Office of Associated Grocers in Denver when the "scanners" first came out. GREAT IDEA !!

But, I'm old school and still remember the checkers "cheating" on the pricing....so I would be much more comfortable with a "self-scan" checkout .

just one opinion,
-Junkmanme-
old.gif

I use a self serve if the lines at the Cashiers are really long but otherwise I use a Cashier. I think it helps them to keep their job.

Yeah - I love the self-checkout but hate the "please remove your items" repeated at me as I re-bag everything. It doesn't do well with putting my own bags in the bagging area. I've made friends with Jennifer, at our local safeway, who runs the self-checkout area. She helped me with a bunch of clearance stuff the other day. In the future, if I have clearance stuff, I'll probably go thru the line, now that I know what a pain it is for her. But she was very nice and efficient about it. I was happy I didn't have to stand in line to get outta the store. It was even better when I realized I'd forgotten an item and was able to go back, grab it, and just get checked out immediately.

If I am in a hurry and only have a few things I use them. Most of them are not set up for a whole basketfull of groceries.

I really like them at Home Depot and Lowe's when I only have one or two items. For me they are much faster. But, when it is on a day I am stocking up for myself and the congregation food storage, I need to do separate checks etc... it is easier just to let the cashier do all the scanning and bagging.

I refuse to use them, just on principle....I'm sick of the automated life....All it takes is having one screwed up barcode tag, and your whole effort is toast.

Back
Top Bottom