Cat got my 4 week old chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Excitedchickens, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Excitedchickens

Excitedchickens New Egg

Dec 11, 2012
    We were transferring our chicks into a bigger fenced area - We weren't watching and my cat got hold of one of my 4 wk old chicks. Scratched her good under the wing. Started bleeding. =( Plus she damaged her "toe"?? I don't know what they are called for sure. Ha.... new to this!!! Anyways.... one of her toes is backward instead of "normal" Its laying the wrong way. We did take her out away from the others - since I read the other chickens cud mess with her until she dies. So... we did seperate her, but will she be ok, with a broken toe? And when/if I can put her back with the others? All sorts of questions.... but very thankful for BackYard Chickens. Learning soooooo much.

2. The Chicken Boy

The Chicken Boy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2013
    I would say apply Neosporin to the toe and wrap it up in a small bandage and keep under a heat lamp in a separate brooder until it seems to act normal again. I am not an expert on injuries but this is my best guess! Good luck and sorry to hear about your chick!

3. Excitedchickens

Excitedchickens New Egg

Dec 11, 2012
    Well.... do u think I shud bend the toe back to going the right way? Then wrap it? The "toe" was never bleeding or cut - only under the wing was where she was bleeding.

4. You should dab the blood under her wing to help it stop bleeding. Keep her sperated from the other chickens untill her toe is normal again.
    Good Luck!

5. Does she have the toe curled? And yes u should rap the toe and untill it is better try not to let her use it much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by