Cat Litter to keep the Smell Down?

Chicken Sniffer

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 14, 2009
Snohomish County
I am curious if anyone has used cat litter in thier meatie pens to keep the flies and smell down? I heard that the plain clay litter can be used for the chicks, but what about 4 week old birds. We have the cornish stinky ones.
sickbyc.gif

I was thinking it would be a cheap way to keep the neighbors happy.
hugs.gif

Hi, haven't tried clay based cat litter but everyone was talking about pellets being good for keeping the smell down so I went out and bought some pine pellets that were meant as cat litter. It worked very well, had nothing in it but pine but cost a fortune, about $25 cdn for the bag.
I went back to the forum to see what other people were paying and it was something like $6-7 a bag for something they referred to as horse pellets i.e. I think used in horse stalls. My local feed store when asked for that (and told that I wanted it for chicks) sold me stove pellets for $7 a bag. I remembered one person saying don't use stove pellets but not why and as they were about 4 weeks old and soon to leave the brooder I used it... and surprise, surprise it wasn't as good as the expensive stuff but still acceptable.

The above info was for laying birds, now that I think of it but not sure why there would be a difference. The horse pellets would probably work but not if they got wet at all.

I use pine shavings now, but wondered if the birds would eat the clay based litter. Its not very expensive, and might help with the smell. I can't put them in a tractor because of limited space and a nosey neighbor. The one's that do know are ok with them. The one that doesn't is a royal pain in the grass, and would cause problems for me.
he.gif
They are the people that have the worst behaved kids and are always causing problems with everyone else.

Back
Top Bottom