Cattle Dogs (Queensland) Changing?

Sam, thanks for the info!

Sevie:

Quote: That is so encouraging to hear! :D Are you showing in conformation shows or herding trials?

Ugh, there is one guy who drives me nuts online. Before I stumbled on his dogs, I had heard another breeder talking about how someone was breeding chihuahuas with cattle dogs and claiming they were "miniature cattle dogs". As soon as I saw the photos he had posted, I knew that was who the breeder was talking about. He still has them for sale, and tries to pass some of them off as rare chocolate cattle dogs. I love actual chocolate ACDs, but it is so blooming obvious these pups are chihuahua mixes. X(

Sam, thanks for the info!

Sevie:

That is so encouraging to hear! :D Are you showing in conformation shows or herding trials?

Ugh, there is one guy who drives me nuts online. Before I stumbled on his dogs, I had heard another breeder talking about how someone was breeding chihuahuas with cattle dogs and claiming they were "miniature cattle dogs". As soon as I saw the photos he had posted, I knew that was who the breeder was talking about. He still has them for sale, and tries to pass some of them off as rare chocolate cattle dogs. I love actual chocolate ACDs, but it is so blooming obvious these pups are chihuahua mixes. X(

There are no such thing as chocolate cattle dogs they are red and blue only!

This is my baby Dolly. When we found her on side of rode she was super skinny and had a rope around her neck real tight. She was timid and shy and also had problems with breathing. Took her to the vet and found out she had 3 cracked ribs and was dehydrated. Vet said the ribs were causing the breathing problems. We took care of her and she bonded to me. She still had her puppy teeth and itty bitty puppy toenails. vet estimated she was around 4 - 6 months old. Several weeks later as she is playing in the yard someone showed up claiming she was theirs and they wanted her back. Dolly his behind my hubby and he refused to give her to them. Told them we got her after someone had beat her. They left and never came back. Dolly herds my chickens and is learning how to herd the cows (they are young calves that are super friendly) I just love her to death. She acts and looks like a red heeler. Still timid at times and has nervous piddling but she's healthy and happy. I am glad we found her and were able to keep her.

This is my
Dolly girl...

Poor Dolly! When we first adopted ours, she would piddle all over herself if you so much as looked at her too. For her though, there were no signs of abuse, she just seemed to have been poorly socialized, if at all. She was not house trained, and was found roaming around outdoors. So, so glad Dolly and you all found each other! They are so loyal to begin with, and what you guys did for her will only cement that.

=
Poor Dolly! When we first adopted ours, she would piddle all over herself if you so much as looked at her too. For her though, there were no signs of abuse, she just seemed to have been poorly socialized, if at all. She was not house trained, and was found roaming around outdoors. So, so glad Dolly and you all found each other! They are so loyal to begin with, and what you guys did for her will only cement that.

hubby used to own heelers.. He says they pick who they bond with. Seems she picked me . Which is pretty cool in my books because even though I had dogs before they were the family's dog. Dolly is definately my dog. Its a new feeling to know that she picked me to bond with.. Oh she absolutely hates being corrected or told no but after one time she doesn't do it again...I fell in love with her and for her to pick me for her human is awesome. She loves on the kiddos and even on hubby but no matter what she comes to me and really wants lots of love.

That is so wonderful to take Dolly in and give her such good care. She will pay you back many times over her lifetime. She is a beautiful dog!
I'm glad she didn't go back to her owners. She probably aggravated those people because she was smarter than they were. It takes a lot of patience to work with these dogs. Quick tempers and ACD's just aren't a good fit.
Good for you and Dolly!

We have 3 jersey calves on the property and she is starting to show her herding instincts. Well she tries anyways. Hubby had a little blue years ago that was named skoal and he was a natural. But Dolly chose me as her's which is a new experience but i love it. The other day when our chickens (a buttload of em mine and landlord's flocks) Dolly actually kept them in between the garage and the pen and made sure they stayed in that area. When I saw and spent 2 hours chicken wranglin. She helped me to do it. Was kind of cool.

Oh yeah, they surely tend to be one people dogs! It was one of the reasons I was nervous to adopt an ACD, as my husband and I like our larger pets to bond with us both. We had to be careful to do absolutely everything with her together, and it worked. Maybe a bit too well, because she then got the idea that we always had to be together. x). Had to invent a game for her where we walk apart and call her back and forth between us. This stopped her anxiety when we aren't always side by side. She has stayed devoted to us both over the years despite us alternating between who has more time working and who has more time with the dog. Once they forge that trust in you, it seems to be stronger than steel. Enjoy your Dolly shadow. You are hers and she is yours, and she is never going to leave your side! <3

Back
Top Bottom