No worry, I know some people think of CCXs as monsters, but they are wonderful birds. I feel sorry for them.
Why should you feel sorry for them? They don't feel sorry for themselves. If you care for them properly and don't try to make them into something they are not they can be as happy as any other chicken even though their life span is relatively short. Judging by their vocalizations, my Cornish X seemed to be very happy and content.

Why should you feel sorry for them? They don't feel sorry for themselves. If you care for them properly and don't try to make them into something they are not they can be as happy as any other chicken even though their life span is relatively short. Judging
I guess sorry is the wrong word...I feel for them though, but it's empathy not sorrow. I know how bad legs and feet feel from degenerative arthritis...so I understand the wanting to jump up on something but not being sure you wouldn't injure yourself trying, lol

I know this question has been asked before, but I was thinking about raising a cornish cross as a pet/laying hen. I know they get big really fast but I was wondering if I raised it on regular chick starter and eventually regular laying hen food, would it turn out just fine? I would definitely keep an eye on her weight but does this sound like an ok idea. Do you think she would live as long as regular hens like over 10+ years, possibly 20? Would she get along with my regular laying hens?
Regular laying hens have a lifespan of 5-7 years, after which they become spent and should be culled. I would advise against getting a CX as a pet because of their predisposition to a very short lifespan of <2 years. Get any other breed of egg laying chicken as a pet. Or get a parrot.

... I was thinking about raising a cornish cross as a pet/laying hen. I know they get big really fast but I was wondering if I raised it on regular chick starter and eventually regular laying hen food, would it turn out just fine?...

That big X after the name Cornish X denotes a cross breed or hybrid chicken that can reach commercial slaughter weight in only 4 weeks. There will be problems with these chickens skelital systems and often their leg bones will give out because of the combination of great weight, and fast growth. I will also say that you will be disappointed in the egg production of a CornishX hen. The hatcheries NEVER breed two Cornish X chickens to one another to produce Cornish X chickens they are always a final cross of two or more breeds..

chickens then and now.jpe

The great weight and fast growth are NOT because of the feed that these chickens eat but because of their DNA. You can not trump DNA with chick starter or the lack of sufficient food and a balanced diet.

Even if I could, I would not. I would consider it a cruelty to the bird. In order to get them to live longer, you have to ration them severely. I would not choose a breed to keep as a pet that I would have to prevent from eating until it felt full, especially knowing they have a voracious appetite to begin with. Rationing a few in order to get them laying and get a few chicks would be one thing, but I would not plan the longest life possible for a bird like that. Literally any other chicken is what you want.

Even if I could, I would not. I would consider it a cruelty to the bird. In order to get them to live longer, you have to ration them severely. I would not choose a breed to keep as a pet that I would have to prevent from eating until it felt full, especially knowing they have a voracious appetite to begin with. Rationing a few in order to get them laying and get a few chicks would be one thing, but I would not plan the longest life possible for a bird like that. Literally any other chicken is what you want.
You are absolutely right. I just wanted to make a comment on the egg laying. Since I keep my Cornish X longer than most people because I like big roasters, I had a few hens start to lay. They produced nice big light brown eggs. No I didn't keep any for layers because I didn't want to risk having them to keel over. I just threw this in because I thought some people might find it interesting. I don't know how old they were when they started laying but I know it had to be before 20 weeks because I didn't keep them any longer than that.

I know this question has been asked before, but I was thinking about raising a cornish cross as a pet/laying hen. I know they get big really fast but I was wondering if I raised it on regular chick starter and eventually regular laying hen food, would it turn out just fine? I would definitely keep an eye on her weight but does this sound like an ok idea. Do you think she would live as long as regular hens like over 10+ years, possibly 20? Would she get along with my regular laying hens?
If you want to raise a big gentle chicken for a pet, why not consider getting a Jersey Giant or a standard Cochin? That is what I plan to do this next spring.

Back
Top Bottom