Chantecler Thread!

Here is a post from another forum. This fellow is from the Netherlands, hence the language differences. But note especially the last two sentences. 'Nuff said.

Berend
content.gif

Bantam

Loc: Nederland
Originally Posted By: Redcap
Really fascinating how fast You get Barnevelder "orange" double laced from wheaten quail over "silver pencilled"

Royal orange is populair in the Netherlands, overhere better not use it in chicks
laugh.gif

There was obvious Ml in the wheatenquail, that's my luck.
Only Ml added to the the original multiple partridge strain, which is top quality for exhibition. Besides single mated for over 30 years, only used the males with black breast from the hens with the good multiple lacing, leads to winners in the Netherlands, Germany and on the European Shows the last 20 Years. There isn't better proof that double mating isn't necessary in Brahma partridge, but everyone is free to make his one choice.

BTW orange is created when the Silver Pencilled adds a single dose of dilute and non-autosomal red to the package...diluting & washing out the phaeomelanin to this "royal orange" instead of deep reddish bay which requires two doses of autosomal red on a gold base with Mahogany and NO dilute.

Nope, this information does nothing to support your incorrect claim to debunk the use of double mating in Partridge Chanteclers in order to make the best colour pattern expressions for exhibition purposes.

It still remains prudent to drop the pencilling and keep the hackle black to achieve the best colour pattern expression in the males for exhibition in the Partridge variety (Red & Black).

The title of the above post you are quoting from The Coop is DOUBLE LACED and when you view the photos and read the posts prior...you can see the F1 female that looks to be a "pseudo" partridge to the casual observer (photo is fuzzy and does not show the black edging well but black edged it IS) is really multi laced...the feather edges are still BLACK laced but not the usual width of edging--thinner. Yes, minute black edging because that is what Ml in a single dose may do in combination with eb and Pg. Reduce the last lacing on the feather edge to almost nothing...I expect one dose of Ml is there to explain the weak, thin expression of black lacing on the outer edge of the feather.

The examples used are double laced (as his title says) not pencilled and this discussion has no validity on Partridge pattern which does not have Ml since that would then make it multiple laced.

You are posting a statement about the use of "Ml" which indeed is quite correctly seen in Barnevelders and US Cornish Games both based upon eb in the e-series AND based upon eWh in the UK type Cornish/Indian Game (which also has cha). These breeds are expressing DOUBLE LACING (Mahogany Gold Black double laced) not PARTRIDGE of which my discussion was that double mating was required to produce superior birds from.

While the Brahmas are a quite a different breed from Chanteclers, persons such as Maurice C. Wallace, John Kriner, Sr., and even Murray do not say they double mate even though they did and do so. I can find many stating they do not "double mate" and yet...by their own words/actions, they most certainly DO.
lau.gif

DOUBLE MATING - AN OPPOSING VIEW
By John Miller Freeman:

They will tell you they do not "double mate" and yet they DO SO by their very own actions and admissions. Taking a son from "my best pencilled females" is double mating...period. Say what you want but a male out of the female exhibition bird IS the pullet breeder...like begets like and female pens make female birds for exhibition...vice versa on males. LOL

Melanotic is an extender of black. The difference between pencilled and double laced is the addition of MELANOTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back in 2009 I kindly advised you to purchase Sigrid's "Genetics of Chicken Colours" publication so that you might read and learn more about colour genetics. You told me you did not need to. I see an ongoing need if you want to continue discussions such as these. With no reference books to carry your theories on, there is no basis for you using it to apply to real life situations.

Feather patterns: Pencilled or multiple lacing, is eb Pg and Double laced is eb Pg PLUS Ml.

Last I looked a the Partridge Chantecler, we were not making Dark Cornish and the DARK Brahma is a silver pencilled (opposite of partridge which is GOLD pencilled). Plus or minus modifiers keep the crisp sharp edge and in multi laced, recessive blacks also assist in the depth of eumelanin. Difference between Dark Cornish and Barnevelders is due to the e-series which results in a darker ground colour with deeper black lacings...Cornish is based upon eWh Wheaten and Barnvelders is based upon eb Brown.

I have created a line of Partridge Bantam Brahmas (why? because I can!) and had this F1 female's photograph looked at by Rico, a sanctioned APA judge. I agree with his comments that she has too light a ground colour when she was a pullet.

Here is Bea...her ground colour has progressively gotten darker as she has aged and thankfully, her thigh feathers came in firmer...much too soft in her pullet year!

Left, Bea as a pullet / Bea as a hen​

Often in the Silver Penciled, there is no autosomal red and Di for dilute which explains why there is a single dose of dilute in Bea which is acceptable in the UK partridge but I prefer a darker groundcolour in my parti female birds.

I think what makes me realize how fast we are losing the decent information is when you have several copies of the SOP's in your possession...different years. Go to the APA SOP 1998 and look upon the retouched photograph of Schillings' (page 78) Dark Brahma male. NOTE...upper thigh just below where his wing folds and the saddle feathers meet...that junction shows explicitly white laced feathers...no words in the SOP of course mention this except for "Lower Thighs -- black." but does anyone GET that this white lacing in the UPPER THIGH is there...not mentioned at all and many who study the SOP's realize that it is JUST as important to note what is not STATED...
big_smile.png

Heh heh heh....so to the casual observer, if we go by the words...yuppers...LOWER thigh is to be BLACK but what of the UPPER thigh????? Now if you go to the APA SOP 2010 and view the cartoon drawing of the Dark Brahma male on page 86...well golly...l00k at what has been lost in the transition from REAL air brushed photo to more the latest updated drawing...black thigh both upper and lower and middle...GONE GONE GONE is the white laced feathers! By allowing this smidgen of lacing in the male for exhibition, a decent enough pencilled female may be made by the one pen breeders...decent but not exquisite like the Dark Brahma pullet breeders that have some white in their black chests.

So slowly but surely the wisdom is being lost even for the one penner breeders and you know...when you get comments about "scaring off" people by telling them the full up truth and key components required...that these varieties ARE difficult and intricate...it is very simple to see why all these nuggets of truth are being lost...faster than ever it seems. I will keep talking about the intricate details and the art of making birds of class but I won't live forever either. Wherever these items are no longer valued, I suppose the quality of exhibition poultry will find some low place to settle out at. ..sadly at the expense of what was once a very refined and intricate expression of the breeders' art, knowledge, and sheer dumb luck on a good day the girls humour and bless us with.
hmm.png

In summary...I welcome you to learn by doing. Go ahead please, and add Melanotic to the North American Partridge Chantecler. The ending result when homozygous, will be a multiple/double laced as in NA DARK CORNISH...one of the original breeds Bro W used in the foundation of the White Chantecler. Reinvention of spinning wheels...going backwards--full tilt & fast!
gig.gif

If ever there was a valid example of what knowing the past history of your breed means in poultry breeding...suggesting that one add melanotic has to be the c@tz meow in lessons one should not have to revisit regarding the Partridge Chantecler.

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins
Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm, Alberta, Canada

Here is a post from another forum. This fellow is from the Netherlands, hence the language differences. But note especially the last two sentences. 'Nuff said.

Berend
content.gif

Bantam

Loc: Nederland
Originally Posted By: Redcap
Really fascinating how fast You get Barnevelder "orange" double laced from wheaten quail over "silver pencilled"

Royal orange is populair in the Netherlands, overhere better not use it in chicks
laugh.gif

There was obvious Ml in the wheatenquail, that's my luck.
Only Ml added to the the original multiple partridge strain, which is top quality for exhibition. Besides single mated for over 30 years, only used the males with black breast from the hens with the good multiple lacing, leads to winners in the Netherlands, Germany and on the European Shows the last 20 Years. There isn't better proof that double mating isn't necessary in Brahma partridge, but everyone is free to make his one choice.

Mike, I would recommend to you the following chicken genetics books:

Creative Poultry Breeding - Dr. W.C. Carefoot
21st Century Poultry Breeding - Grant Brereton
Genetics of Chicken Colours - Sigrid Van Doort

If you can read any or all of those, I feel as though it would be very helpful to you in your future discussions of poultry colour genetics.

For a little bonus fun reading, Genetics of Chicken Extremes by Sigrid Van Doort is very interesting and educational.

Back in 2009 I kindly advised you to purchase Sigrid's "Genetics of Chicken Colours" publication so that you might read and learn more about colour genetics. You told me you did not need to. I see an ongoing need if you want to continue discussions such as these. With no reference books to carry your theories on, there is no basis for you using it to apply to real life situations.

i've no background in any of this, I am canadian and just starting with partridge chantecler. however a few things strike me in your large post as wrong.

#1 mike clearly practices breeding and therefore has plenty of worthwhile opinions.
#2 books are sometimes wrong
#3 the people who wrote the books i should hope at one point did field work. but they may not have.

Mike, i would urge you to read the 4 books recommended, and make a strong case against those books. not everyone believes books are truth simply because they were published.

i'm Phil by the way and not meaning any insults to either of you, simply wanted to chime in a bit;]
oh and im getting my birds on may 30th, so dont even have them yet.

Why would I spend good money on books from a country that does not even breed chickens the same way we do? Seems rather stupid in my estimation. Are there no poultry geneticists in North America??? There is plenty of good genetics information on the internet if you know where to look, and it costs nothing. Actually, I do have one of Grant Brereton's books and have corresponded with him. The genetics of silver penciled and partridge is not all that complicated. The mistake being made by you Albertans is that you read that that triple penciled can be made by doing such and such. But you fail to realize there is more than one way to skin a cat. I have been breeding chickens of various color patterns for some 40 or so years, and know for a fact that single mating works for these varieties. It may not produce the same percentage of triple penciled females, but that is well worth it to me to not have to keep mutt birds just to breed with. That is my choice. You do it your way, and I'll do it mine, and we'll leave it at that. I have shared some of my actual results - I don't know what else it takes to convince you, but at this point I'm not sure it can be done.

Why would I spend good money on books from a country that does not even breed chickens the same way we do? Seems rather stupid in my estimation. Are there no poultry geneticists in North America??? There is plenty of good genetics information on the internet if you know where to look, and it costs nothing. Actually, I do have one of Grant Brereton's books and have corresponded with him. The genetics of silver penciled and partridge is not all that complicated. The mistake being made by you Albertans is that you read that that triple penciled can be made by doing such and such. But you fail to realize there is more than one way to skin a cat. I have been breeding chickens of various color patterns for some 40 or so years, and know for a fact that single mating works for these varieties. It may not produce the same percentage of triple penciled females, but that is well worth it to me to not have to keep mutt birds just to breed with. That is my choice. You do it your way, and I'll do it mine, and we'll leave it at that. I have shared some of my actual results - I don't know what else it takes to convince you, but at this point I'm not sure it can be done.

Personally, I do not care if information is British or Russian or Japanese. Science is truth regardless of the country of origin. It would be pure ignorance to ignore facts simply because they don't come from someone who speaks American English as their first language. If we all ignored everything from other countries, well, we wouldn't have all the wonderful inventions of Nikola Tesla. Like modern electricity.

I think it's important to know the reasons behind WHY what you're doing does or does not work. Again, I reiterate, there is a genetic explanation for your triple penciled females out of black breasted males. You'll find it in the books I recommended.

For anyone who is new to colour genetics (not me necessarily, I've been working on colour genetics in various species for a couple of decades now ...), books are an EXTREMELY important source of information. I like to read and learn from other people's proven research because it will mean than not only will I be able to look at a bird and predict what its offspring will look like, but it means I will be able to accomplish my goals in a much shorter period of time. Instead of taking me 40 years to get a few triple penciled females via trial and error and fluke, I can do it in just a few generations because I have knowledge and science on my side and I can use that to make my selections and achieve my goals.

And hey, the books are a legitimate tax write-off for those of us who farm. And they have pretty pictures if words aren't your thing, especially in Brereton and Van Dort's books.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's important to know the reasons behind WHY what you're doing does or does not work. Again, I reiterate, there is a genetic explanation for your triple penciled females out of black breasted males. You'll find it in the books I recommended.

For anyone who is new to colour genetics (not me necessarily, I've been working on colour genetics in various species for a couple of decades now ...), books are an EXTREMELY important source of information. I like to read and learn from other people's proven research because it will mean than not only will I be able to look at a bird and predict what its offspring will look like, but it means I will be able to accomplish my goals in a much shorter period of time. Instead of taking me 40 years to get a few triple penciled females via trial and error and fluke, I can do it in just a few generations because I have knowledge and science on my side and I can use that to make my selections and achieve my goals.

And hey, the books are a legitimate tax write-off for those of us who farm. And they have pretty pictures if words aren't your thing, especially in Brereton and Van Dort's books.

Maybe you feel that people are smarter if they are from far away? I already have an extensive poultry library, and have access to all
the genetic information that is needed to breed good partridge birds. And a ton of experience. It does not take anywhere close to 40
years to produce the desired characteristics in both genders using single mating as you seem to indicate. Let me repeat this one more
time: I know single mating can work satisfactorily because I and many others I know practice it. If you tried it, and it didn't work for you,
well then my guess is you were working with inferior stock to begin with. Or did not realize at the time how to make correct matings with
what you had to work with. Or something.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopefully I can say this with out over stepping my bounds as a newbie....
Everyone learns things in different ways. Some taluckyore out of learning theory and others take more out of learning by experimentation. Before Mendel gave us an understandings of genetics, we were already able to create breeds to suit our needs by selecting breeding stock with traits we needed and wanted. With a deeper understanding of genetics we understand why things happen as they do, but truly understanding the mechanisms of genetics and inheritance can be quite daunting.... I took one class on genetics and loved the theory... Once we got into the math and started learning about measuring the distance between Alleles, chances of recombination, mutation ect. My brain turned to mush... I loved the theory however. If I went back over my books it would likely help me in this new endeavor.... I feel like, at least as the newbie that I am, it would be easy to fixate on one aspect, such as comb or color and loose touch with what I was after in the whole package. We'll see, this is a new challenge right :) I'm going to try to keep the big picture in mind.

Now... On the other end of the spectrum there's practical, hands on, working knowledge... My old neighbor down the road breeds beautiful purebred horses. They're the whole package, excellent conformation, built to stay sound and working for a long time, smart and easy to train. If they lack anything it would be a fancy color because he doesn't care for it, he likes brown horses. I don't know if he has ever turned a page in a book on genetics. At his stage in the game I don't think he would benefit much from it either other than for avoiding herreditable disease... But he doesn't seem to have to worry about that anyway because he stays clear of "bad blood lines" and I'm quite sure he's put in the time researching those.

So how does one end up as a good breeder? If I had to guess, I'm not there yet so it will be a guess.
I think it's a combination of researching bloodlines and/or genetics and a healthy dose of hands on experience and if we're lucky a mentor along the way...

I like to think everyone has something to teach you if you're willing to listen...

I asked the question because a good representation of the breed would give your words some credibility since you claim no achievements. Your words, not mine. Opinions are about a dime a dozen. Actual experience bears a little more weight than theories. There is a tremendous amount of genetic knowledge that is missing yet, unknown. Those who write articles and books can only relate what they learned with the genetic pools they happened to have available to work with. Yes, we know the basics. But there is still a lot to be learned. BTW, if you don't like the way CFI is run I will be happy to return your pro-rated dues. For the most part we are a big happy family, but there are sometimes the exceptions.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom