Chantecler Thread!

@Apis mellifera I'd like to see more photos of #27 and #38. From what I can tell 27 has a better tail but 38 has better yellow legs. Need more pics and get one from above to show the width of back the entire length. It's a toss up for me of those two. Would need more photos for an educated pick. I will say that bright safety yellow legs are hard to get back if you pass on a bird with it. And I made the mistake of using a medium rich red cock a few years ago like your #50 and have not gotten another deep red since but do get more with the rusty orange that are immediate culls. If all the hens are deep red then maybe #50 but the standard calls for the hackle and saddle to be black with red lacing. The red shafting that makes for the full color is more to my personal preference but not the standard. It's this that is hard to come back from and lends to more copper color- red shafting.

When I have more space to do it justice this will be my next breed. I'm so glad you've got good stock not too far from me.

@Apis mellifera I know this is a different variety but the neck and hackle feathering is the same as Partridge. We want to keep to Mahogany and avoid red shafting, I believe both of us do. The standard accepts some red shafts but too many is a disqualification.

I discounted the wide black in hackles over my preference of uniform red years ago. It took three years to get something back with the lacing in hackles. He's still got some copper color in saddles but I'm getting there.
Wide2.JPG

@Apis mellifera I know this is a different variety but the neck and hackle feathering is the same as Partridge. We want to keep to Mahogany and avoid red shafting, I believe both of us do. The standard accepts some red shafts but too many is a disqualification.
I have a copy of the SOP and honestly its over my head. I try and do my best based on it. When it comes to hens if they look pretty, have small combs and decent penciling, they're good 😄.
Chantecler Hen.JPG

These are from a group of 5 White Chanteclers I picked up on Jan 3rd.

@Egghead_Jr has pointed out a preference for rectangular body shapes in dual purpose birds; he used his Partridge Chant above as an example.

My cockerel and one of the pullets. Any all comments of their conformance to SOP body shape appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20230111_130317_779.jpg
    IMG_20230111_130317_779.jpg
    399.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20230111_130211_494.jpg
    IMG_20230111_130211_494.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 3
Interesting. I had tried to get 4 started Whites from someone breeding them on the other side of the start. He had some sort of predator attack, then got sick. Never got my birds but did get my $100 back.

I just looked at Cackle, no Whites currently available, unsexed when they are.

Back
Top Bottom