Check out my rescued hen (PICTURE)

weesy68

Songster
10 Years
May 3, 2009
Stratford CT
30192_dsc_1349.jpg

I got her and the big girl behind her from a live poultry market in Bridgeport. Most people go there to buy a freshly slaughtered chicken (popular with Hispanic people in particular it seems from my visits there). The pre-plucked girl is a former 'battery' hen, an egg producer, who is now only considered good for soup because her egg production has dropped. Her name will be Sopa. Can you tell me what breed she is, and the chicken behind her? The younger one is around five months old, and after isolation they will both join my little backyard flock of six. I already have a rescued NJ Giant from a different market in Manhattan, a couple of easter eggers, two silkies and a barnyard special, who may be a delaware mix. I took the older bird this time just to give her a happy ending to her life, it's been pretty miserable so far. She is totally fascinated with the grass, and has already caught bugs, and stuffed herself silly with layer feed since she arrived this morning!

Last edited:
I couldn't NOT take one of them. It breaks my heart every time I walk in one of these places, there are cages full of ducks, chickens, rabbits and guineas, every one of them looks miserable. They are dragged out of the cages by their feet and hung upside down, tied with twine by the ankles. I feel like I've done something by taking one or two, I'd like to take the lot and shut them down, totally unrealistic I know.

so glad that you rescued them. They should be happy and you might be surprised she just might lay you a few eggs for being so nice to her.

Poor thing. It's good that she's retired to a nice place- and that she didn't slow down her laying and get plucked right before winter! That would be cold. They both look like Red Sex Links. They're really pretty!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom