Cherry Laurel Tree

I googled your question and this is what came up:

In older gardens, cherry laurels often become small trees reaching 30 to 40 feet in height. ... Both these cherries are loaded with hydrocyanic acid, which doesn't bother birds, but is dangerous to cows and horses.Apr 14, 2011

Thank you. I googled it and got contradictory information so I wanted to make sure. I'm getting my chicks next week and once they get big enough to go the backyard, I didn't want them to eat the leaves or seeds which are everywhere. My whole fence line is covered with Cherry Laurels hanging over from a neighbors yard. I appreciate the response. :). Thank you!

In general most things "toxic" to animals needs to be ingested in substantial quantities to be fatal or even invoke symptoms. Chickens are good at sampling something but moving on or avoiding toxic things altogether. My birds free range woods and fields. There are plenty of toxic plants that they come into contact with but they are more interested in scratch ing for the bugs under them than the plants themselves.

Thank you, Mtnboomer. That is super helpful. I've been pretty nervous about it since this is my first time raising chickens. I appreciate you taking the time to respond. :)

Back
Top Bottom