Cheryl's Hen House...

Pics
Last edited:
So, would this be the right thing? http://www.amazon.com/Kreg-MKJKIT-M...s=pocket-hole+jig&refinements=p_85:2470955011

Oh dear, I just realized I am three pages behind, I am just up to where you start the nest boxes, and it's too late for me to stay up and read any more!!

And you have a new avatar, which makes me want to read about the nest boxes!!

Just gonna have to catch up tomorrow I guess.

Yes, that jig will work just fine. They make several others that are more versatile and more user friendly if you can spend a bit more but the basic jig you listed will do the job.

I have the older version of this one. I have used it for a ton of projects. You'll need some screws as they are specific to the pocket hole system. 1 1/4" screws for 3/4" material. 2 1/2" screws for 2x4's and other 1 1/2" material.

http://www.amazon.com/Kreg-K4-Pocke...62290029&sr=1-5&keywords=kreg+pocket+hole+jig

That, to me, is kind of a downside to pocket joinery.......
.......but I'm kinda of a cheap hacker using deck and drywall screws for most everything.

Worth it in my book. Pocket hole joinery is one of my fav's. Amazingly easy and strong. Kreg's Bluekote coated screws are fairly comparable price wise to coated deck screws. Each has it's place and attributes. I keep a supply of 4 or 5 various lengths of coated deck screws and use them a lot. I only keep 1 1/4" and 2 1/2" pocket hole screws. I'm personally not a fan of drywall screws.

I can't wait to get a pocket hole jig. It's been on my shopping list on the home depot app for a while haha. I wanna build some steps around one corner of the run so the kids can step up more easily to toss in treats and I feel like pocket hole joinery will help with the 2*6s we are going to use for it. Plus a slew of other projects in the planning stages haha.

That, to me, is kind of a downside to pocket joinery.......
.......but I'm kinda of a cheap hacker using deck and drywall screws for most everything.
you can use deck screws for the pocket holes.

just be sure to use the correct size. I do it all the time, since finding the Kreg screws for exterior use is difficult for where I live, especially for the thinner materials

Worth it in my book. Pocket hole joinery is one of my fav's. Amazingly easy and strong. Kreg's Bluekote coated screws are fairly comparable price wise to coated deck screws. Each has it's place and attributes. I keep a supply of 4 or 5 various lengths of coated deck screws and use them a lot. I only keep 1 1/4" and 2 1/2" pocket hole screws. I'm personally not a fan of drywall screws.

Love my Kreg and pocket hole joinery. Probably more than I should.

you can use deck screws for the pocket holes.

just be sure to use the correct size. I do it all the time, since finding the Kreg screws for exterior use is difficult for where I live, especially for the thinner materials

I have done it in a pinch but I've had issues with the deck screws splitting out the holes especially in softer woods. I usually just order my Kreg screws from Amazon.

Love my Kreg and pocket hole joinery. Probably more than I should.

I have both the Kreg K4 and the Porter Cable 560. The PC does a lot of cool things. It automatically adjusts to different thicknesses and the clamp auto adjusts as well. It's really much nicer than the Kreg but I find myself just whipping out the old Kreg for stuff like I built for the coop. Hard to beat the tried and true Kreg.

Back
Top Bottom