Cheryl's Hen House...

Pics
Crazy birds have pretty much always laid in the same box since square one. All of a sudden they have now decided to move all the way to the opposite end of the nest box. Chickens are weird. :lol:

Crazy birds have pretty much always laid in the same box since square one. All of a sudden they have now decided to move all the way to the opposite end of the nest box. Chickens are weird. :lol:

Yes they are! A group of mine seem to have decided not to use the nest boxes at all. There are at least four that I can pinpoint whose eggs suddenly stopped appearing a week or so ago. I've looked high and low and cannot find a hidden stash. I know at least one of them is still laying, because she went in our garage yesterday and laid an egg in our cats' bed. (That's her preferred spot, and she is the reason we try to keep the garage door shut at all times.)

I think today I'm going to keep them all penned up all morning and see if that helps.

Good morning, Terry!

Fickle Chickens.
One thing you can count on with chickens? Inconsistency. Haha!!

Mess with their minds Terry, put fake eggs in all the nests.
...or all in one nest.
Move them every day or so.

Last edited:
Fickle Chickens.
One thing you can count on with chickens? Inconsistency. Haha!!

Mess with their minds Terry, put fake eggs in all the nests.
...or all in one nest. 
Move them every day or so.

Ha!!! I just might do that. Seems that the BCM is the one leading the charge to move to the opposite end of the nest box. Yesterday her's was the only egg in that one with everybody else in the "usual" one.

Yes they are! A group of mine seem to have decided not to use the nest boxes at all. There are at least four that I can pinpoint whose eggs suddenly stopped appearing a week or so ago. I've looked high and low and cannot find a hidden stash. I know at least one of them is still laying, because she went in our garage yesterday and laid an egg in our cats' bed. (That's her preferred spot, and she is the reason we try to keep the garage door shut at all times.)

I think today I'm going to keep them all penned up all morning and see if that helps.

Good morning, Terry!

lol...chickens...who knows?

Morning Finnie.

before one of mine went broody she started laying in a different spot.. and some of the others joined her

I feared that one might decide that the nest box was not the place to lay so I've been keeping an eye out for a nest elsewhere. So far they are just playing musical chairs in the nest box. Seems like when the BCM started laying it messed everything up in their routine.

Back
Top Bottom