Chick chick and 10 lil chicklets

UPDATE!!! the New hatchling is now UNDER mom!!. and I removed the other egg of course and Tryed to candle it.. Looked up pics and From what I saw it's not viable
sad.png
. no development at all. so we discarded it. and tomarrow when she's pecking around with her now 11 chicks I will go in and remove shells. althou she's done a good job of kicking them out of the way herself.

wow I went from having 10 baby chicks to 11!!! I have a bakers dozen now of chickens!!

me 2. I was so shure that neither of the 2 would hatch.. imagine my suprise to find a hole in one this morning.. and a big Chunk missing a a wiggly chickey a few hours later!!.
I so wish I would have stayed out side a half hour longer I bet I woulda caught him break out of that shell.,

i can't waite to see him/her tomarrow.. I also hope i can tell wich one he is

Such a sweet surprise!! As I'm sure you have already learned, it is so fun and relaxing to watch mamma's with their babies.

As for a coop... it doesn't have to be pretty. Trust me... I have a really nice coop with sliding windows and all, but where did they end? I wayward coop I built myself with free stuff around the yard... (The existing coop was built along to woods, and predators would sneak in while the girls laid eggs, new on is in middle of yard)

The area under your porch would be perfect, as a bulk of the structure is already there. Some field fencing, and a bit of wood would go along way.

As for budget friendly supplies, I've found a few..... old pallets from Home Depot (or what ever is in your area). You can pull it apart and use the wood.... A crate they had their tiles in, some chicken wire makes a great brooder........... If you can find a sign printing shop, you might be able to score some sheets of marine grade (super waterproof) plywood. Find a company that prints the big outside signs, like huge for sale ones. See if they will sell (possibly even give) you some of their used wood.

Hope some of this info helps
smile.png

Enjoy your new babies!!

Shannon

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

Are there still eggs that are unhatched, or have they all hatched?
~ Aspen

There was one, but I figured out how to "candle" them and Determined it was not viable. didnt look like a chick or movment. so we disposed of it. she actual ended up after that new hatchling came out shoving that other egg out of the nest. so I went in and got it.

Quote:
yea today i got ahold of a coop. needs some work but it will do.. I plan on attempting to Join the Underside of the porch and the Coop together. later allow momma to go back free run and the chicks we keep wont be free run till we fence our yard later in the next couple months., this way mommy can hopefuly come home n give me more baby's lol.

I will look for pallets. to mabe make some nesting box's from. I am going to get some of them Staple screws. and attach the exzisting chicken wire i put up to the porch. and make a door, in a better spot.and make it simpler to get in and out.,

I"m just currious about winter.. were in ga so it don't get anywhere as cold as up north. in ny ect. but I'm not sure how to work them in winter with "2nd hand" building. Mabey some old tupperwear buckets with holes in them and lots of straw to get in?

but I like that idea of recycling some pallets.. that could work awsome on bulding a door, and eventuly more coops​

Sounds like an awesome plan!!! My husband and I used all recycled materials and stuff we found at recycle bins behind our walmart (pallets) and stuff from family. We used old picture frames for windows with outdoor glue/caulking. You can do a lot with an imagination and baby chicks waiting for a home!!! LOL!!! They are adorable! Make sure you post more pics so we can all see how they are doing! What a great story!
celebrate.gif

P.S. That spot under the house looks PERFECT!!! You could surround the rest of the under of the deck with chicken wire and make a door to make it a run area to keep them in in bad weather or at night or when you are away from home, to keep safe?! Oh, there are so many ideas! I am SOO excited for you!
wee.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Oh I know I get more excited with each new suggestion!!!. and hubby just rolls his eyes saying "I thought we were just gonna wrap under the porch Ann lol.
but he this morning did ask me "you gonna go count chicken baby's to make sure we have 10 and remove the 2 unhatched eggs.?" I told him yup.. and then he is like "you gotta wrap more of the porch" so I got the rest of the wire n done it and he came back "where the heck u get more wire LOL" and that is when I found the egg with a hole in it and decided to give it the day to see what happens.. and man was i suprised to see it hatch!!!.
a little dissapointed that the 12th egg didnt. but also I'm excited to see 11 chicks out of 12 eggs. that is pretty good!.

Here is what I started out doing just to keep them all in a safe place. I put the bricks there to keep them from going under it. and I missed one spot cause I had to pick up a chicklet and fend off mom to put him back in with her lol.
99419_img-20110710-00006.jpg

Then THIS is what I did this morning.. you can see where I ran out of Chickenwire.
99419_img-20110711-00010.jpg

and this is what I got free off freecycle today. needs to have new chickenwire wrapped around the bottom. and a door attached in the back or wire of some sort. and then some sorta connection so they can go from the porch to the coop. I had to strap it to the roof of my truck to get it the 20 mile drive home LOL
99419_img-20110711-00012.jpg

and then we have some random cute pic of the good mommy Chick chick

99419_img-20110710-00004.jpg

Love it! I'm sure mamma feels more safe too with all her babies! I have 11 and the youngest is 15 weeks old and I still do a head count! LOL

what a great story...you are so lucky she chose you and she is so lucky you are looking after her. I am also in GA...with it being so hot make sure they have some water but not enough where the babies can fall in and drown...also please make sure that her space is as secure as you can make it. Cause the coons and possums will just climb up there and in and then there is no escape for any of them...I lock mine up every night and my coop is made out of hardwire...good luck...

oh as for the winter..they will need a coop that is free os drafts with enclosed walls and lots of straw

Back
Top Bottom