CHICK DAYS TRACTOR SUPPLY BEWARE

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ByrdFeathers, Apr 20, 2018.

1. ByrdFeathers

ByrdFeathers Songster

Jan 8, 2018
    Bruce, FL
    So I bought what was labeled as Americauna, turned out to be Easter Eggers was fine with that. Went back and bought what was supposed to be sexed pullets and brahmas, i don't think I got a single brahma, I will post picks this weekend but 3 of them are bluish color with no leg feather, the others look like cochins not brahma. This is very disappointing! Does anyone here have any experience with TSC with this issue and is there anything I can get them to do?

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchi Wan Kenobi

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    The trouble is the employees at Tractor Supply get no training for this and most of them have probably never had chickens nor do they know anything about the different breeds.

So if the hatchery happened to accidentally label what was in the box of chicks wrong, the TSC people would have no idea and just put whatever it said on the box. In my first batch of chicks ever I bought a 'gold laced wyandotte' that was actually a red sex link. They look totally different as chicks, but the TSC people didn't know and I, being new to chickens, didn't either.

Or if the box isn't labeled they might just guess and put a sign up for whatever they think they might be.

There's not really anything to be done about this unfortunately, because short of TSC training all its employees to identify most chicken breeds as chicks, mislabeling is gonna happen unless the hatchery gets what's in the box correctly labeled and sends TSC what they say they're sending them.

3. bellium

bellium Chirping

Apr 8, 2018
    hudson valley, ny
    this is the first year i tried raising chicks and i, too, got duped by TSC. of the 6 chicks i purchased, the white rock pullet and black sex link pullet were correctly labeled, i got 2 buff orpingtons that turned out to be appenzeller spitzhaubens, and i still don’t know what the heck my 2 “marans” are, besides probably cockerels. i’m chalking it up to my own inexperience, not knowing how unreliable TSC is about labeling their chicks. i think it will be a while before i need to raise new ones, but i’ll go to a more reputable source. those spitzhaubens, though...:D

4. redranger209

redranger209 Crowing

Apr 17, 2016
    Oakdale, CA
    This is so annoying, I might go work at tractor supply just so I can label the chicks right. I’ve only got ees, a bsl, and leghorn from there, but people I know have had this experience at my same store.

*edited for clarity.

puffypoo22 and Jamie Molihan like this.
  5. droy1028

droy1028 Chirping

Mar 18, 2018
    TSC is like a Walmart. It's an entry level position. A lot of the employees training is in only retail sales, not livestock or farming. The training they get is MINIMAL at best. Do your research before buying there. The hatcheries they use are usually posted for each chicken on the website. You can cross reference what they have with pictures on the hatchery's website before posting or take your chances with luck of the draw.

6. ByrdFeathers

ByrdFeathers Songster

Jan 8, 2018
    Bruce, FL

i don't blame employees I blame TSC or the hatcheries mislabeling the chicks

7. Crazy for Chickens!

Crazy for Chickens! Crowing

Jun 9, 2017
    N.W. Missouri
    I often look at m feed store and make sure they label their chicks rig whenever I go there. Haven't found any issues yet, but if I find one, I will notify the people so they can fix it! Of course, I don't know if they would listen to you or not...

8. Duck Lover88

Duck Lover88 Songster

Jan 11, 2018
    Piedmont N.C
    "The trouble is the employees at Tractor Supply get no training for this and most of them have probably never had chickens nor do they know anything about the different breeds."

Unfortunately I have to agree with this 100%….

9. Coyena

Coyena In the Brooder

Mar 14, 2018
    My blue Cochins turned out to be black Cochins, and my Buff Orpingtons turned into God knows what lol.

10. 2 many chickens

2 many chickens Songster

Jan 14, 2017
    That's TSC for ya. The day I went to pick up some bantam chicks one was sloped over with his neck bent. I pointed it out to her, so she goes 'oh, he's just lazy' so she picks him up and dumps him back in the brooster upside down. I knew better, something not right with it. They don't know much about chickens I guess.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: