CHICK DAYS TRACTOR SUPPLY BEWARE

Pics

ByrdFeathers

Songster
Jan 8, 2018
Bruce, FL
So I bought what was labeled as Americauna, turned out to be Easter Eggers was fine with that. Went back and bought what was supposed to be sexed pullets and brahmas, i don't think I got a single brahma, I will post picks this weekend but 3 of them are bluish color with no leg feather, the others look like cochins not brahma. This is very disappointing! Does anyone here have any experience with TSC with this issue and is there anything I can get them to do?

The trouble is the employees at Tractor Supply get no training for this and most of them have probably never had chickens nor do they know anything about the different breeds.

So if the hatchery happened to accidentally label what was in the box of chicks wrong, the TSC people would have no idea and just put whatever it said on the box. In my first batch of chicks ever I bought a 'gold laced wyandotte' that was actually a red sex link. They look totally different as chicks, but the TSC people didn't know and I, being new to chickens, didn't either.

Or if the box isn't labeled they might just guess and put a sign up for whatever they think they might be.

There's not really anything to be done about this unfortunately, because short of TSC training all its employees to identify most chicken breeds as chicks, mislabeling is gonna happen unless the hatchery gets what's in the box correctly labeled and sends TSC what they say they're sending them.

this is the first year i tried raising chicks and i, too, got duped by TSC. of the 6 chicks i purchased, the white rock pullet and black sex link pullet were correctly labeled, i got 2 buff orpingtons that turned out to be appenzeller spitzhaubens, and i still don’t know what the heck my 2 “marans” are, besides probably cockerels. i’m chalking it up to my own inexperience, not knowing how unreliable TSC is about labeling their chicks. i think it will be a while before i need to raise new ones, but i’ll go to a more reputable source. those spitzhaubens, though...:D

TSC is like a Walmart. It's an entry level position. A lot of the employees training is in only retail sales, not livestock or farming. The training they get is MINIMAL at best. Do your research before buying there. The hatcheries they use are usually posted for each chicken on the website. You can cross reference what they have with pictures on the hatchery's website before posting or take your chances with luck of the draw.

TSC is like a Walmart. It's an entry level position. A lot of the employees training is in only retail sales, not livestock or farming. The training they get is MINIMAL at best. Do your research before buying there. The hatcheries they use are usually posted for each chicken on the website. You can cross reference what they have with pictures on the hatchery's website before posting or take your chances with luck of the draw.

i don't blame employees I blame TSC or the hatcheries mislabeling the chicks

Back
Top Bottom