Chick got attacked by small dog

Adgette

Hatching
Apr 30, 2022
My 3 week old chick got out of the brooder and was attacked by our small dog. She has two puncture wounds, one under each wing. I have been treating them with a topical medicine that our local farm store recommended. My most pressing concern is that she can not walk normally. She limps to one side and after standing for a few seconds she goes down to her knee on the bad leg. I don't find any signs of breakage or wounds to the leg itself. I am hoping maybe it just hurts, but don't know what i can do for the pain. she is alert but not eating/drinking or moving much. Any advice would be much appreciated. This is my first time raising chicks.

It is hard to know if she has sprained her legs. Keep her separated in a part of the brooder near food and water. Consider making her a chicken sling chair with food and water in front of her. Hopefully, some resting her legs and time will help her recover. Make sure the chicks cannot get out of the brooder, covering it with screen or hardware cloth. Here is a link for chicken slings:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

Back
Top Bottom