Chick has open head wound. Can see skull. Help!!

OMG, this is why I joined. This same injury just happened to my NH red about 2 lbs. there are no vets open until Monday. I have cleaned it, gave her electrolytes, put triple antibiotic all over it and wound powder. I gave her some baby aspirin. I have been giving her eyedroppers of water. She keeps closing her eyes. She is peeping when I pet her.
I found her early this morning, she was almost dead. She isn't eating yet, has only been 3 hrs. This is terrible. I will not kill her, not an option. Am looking for an emergency vet. Any more info you could give us would be so appreciated. Thank you for your help.

Poor thing. How is she doing? I would bring her inside and offer supportive care like a warm, dark, quiet place to rest. I would flush it with room temperature sterile salinez. If she hangs in there, I would apply antibiotic ointment without pain killer very carefully to keep it moist. Watch for infection, as she may need an antibiotic. She definitely needs to stay hydrated, so keep water within her reach. A pain killer may help, too. Just make sure you get the right dosing. Please let us know how shs’s doing.
Thank you, she's doing better today. She's walking around a bit and she drinks on her own I just have to show her where the bowl is.

Hey, I'm a Registered Nurse. 30 years trauma and wound experience. I would NOT kill that poor baby. I would treat wound just like a person. Get gause and wet with Normal Saline. Cover wound with wet cause. Apply dry cause over that. Trying to think of way to rig dressing to stay. If you can't get dressing to stay on, Warm Normal Saline Use medicine dropper or very tiny syringe and put on wound twice a day. Keep chick alone and warm. Heat lamp is good. Hope it lives. A hen did that to a newborn of mine last week and it died before I could help it.
Thank you!!!!

Chickens are nasty animals. They have been doing that kind of thing to each other since time began. That bird will be fine. You can try to pull the flap back but it is probably going to rot off eventually, so you might just want to snip it off. Spray some blue coat on there and keep her isolated. She might have a little bald spot there but should heal up fine. Should start eating soon if she ever quits. If she stops in a couple days you might want to get some antibiotics in her. Crumbled up hard boiled egg is the best thing you can give her. (It's like they have the exact nutrients a chicken needs to live or something, go figure).

Chickens are nasty animals. They have been doing that kind of thing to each other since time began. That bird will be fine. You can try to pull the flap back but it is probably going to rot off eventually, so you might just want to snip it off. Spray some blue coat on there and keep her isolated. She might have a little bald spot there but should heal up fine. Should start eating soon if she ever quits. If she stops in a couple days you might want to get some antibiotics in her. Crumbled up hard boiled egg is the best thing you can give her. (It's like they have the exact nutrients a chicken needs to live or something, go figure).
Thank you!!

Thank you, she's doing better today. She's walking around a bit and she drinks on her own I just have to show her where the bowl is.

About the finding bowl issue.. While researching what to feed my baby peafowl if I ever get any.. lol Hard Boiled Eggs AND THEIR SHELLS crushed really fine was recommended and it said that its good to put red food coloring to the mixture to help the chicks find it.. this may help that brave little chick you have. Still praying.:love
PRAYER CHAIN.jpg

Back
Top Bottom