Chick hatched today with protruding organ?? Not sure! Please help!

krisslg

Hatching
Apr 18, 2016
Hi! I had a chick hatch today and at first it seemed like a normal hatch, I left him in the incubator to dry, and when I returned home I checked him because I noticed his legs were up under him. Also, I saw his yolk sac was at the bottom of the incubator. I wasn't too worried about that. I'm more concerned about the protruding organ or membrane of some sort from his stomach! He drinks from a dropper water with electrolytes and he's ate a piece or two of mushed food, very small pcs. He has peeped continuously and I worry he is in pain. I was going to try and correct his feet with badaids, however, I thought getting him stronger first would be best. he is by himself and I have him on a towel as he cannot do anything but scoot and roll around. It seems he just wants to be held, but I have to get some sleep also. What should I do about the protrusion?? I have read they won't make it but a few days with this. Any help would be so great! Thank you!
Despite the picture he does open his eyes and try and flap his wings. He has just finally fell asleep!

I wish I could help with advice for helping the bulge, however I have no experience with that. I will say that I also had a chick hatch and it was a chick who did not have any other chicks to be with, it constantly chirped not stop until we decided to run to tractor supply and buy it a friend. At first she was terrified and kept wanting to run from it, then a day or so later all was quite and they were both best friends from then on!
So the chirping may not be from pain.

I wish I could help with advice for helping the bulge, however I have no experience with that. I will say that I also had a chick hatch and it was a chick who did not have any other chicks to be with, it constantly chirped not stop until we decided to run to tractor supply and buy it a friend. At first she was terrified and kept wanting to run from it, then a day or so later all was quite and they were both best friends from then on!

Thank you! I have three others in the brooder, but I had him separated into a tissue box that I cut the top off of and they were already becoming curious and pecking his head, so I removed him. I also forgot to write that I have been using vetricyn on his protrusion. I am going to try to feed him some watered down mushy starter feed in a few minutes. Hopefully he takes it.

I also want to note that it looks as if it's beginning to scab up. I've never dealt with this before. He can only lay on his and scoot around still. Should I bandage his feet to straighten then or wait a little longer?

I would bandage his legs now. The sooner you fix the straddle leg the better.
I had a chick hatch with straddle leg and as soon as he came out of the incubator he got bandaged. He was walking normally that evening. He is now our head honcho rooster!
I made the mistake of using the sticky part of the band aids, ouch!! I still remember the poor guys pain as I tried to pull them off!! Don't make the same mistake!! Use the cotton part on their delicate legs!

I would bandage his legs now. The sooner you fix the straddle leg the better.
I had a chick hatch with straddle leg and as soon as he came out of the incubator he got bandaged. He was walking normally that evening. He is now our head honcho rooster!
I made the mistake of using the sticky part of the band aids, ouch!! I still remember the poor guys pain as I tried to pull them off!! Don't make the same mistake!! Use the cotton part on their delicate legs!
Will do! What do you suggest for the crooked toes :( obviously, my incubating didn't go so well this time. I've read you can put cardboard and tape on the feet to straighten them out. I have two eggs left that were due to hatch Sunday. I did the floating test last night and both sunk. Should I attempt to open? I'm afraid they will be deformed like this little guy.

I am glad he is starting to scab up!! That's good news!! I would think if you get him up and walking with the band aids it would take pressure off his tummy right? Making healing much faster?
If you can, make sure the others see him, and he can see them, might make indroducting him back in a bit easier.
Understand, I am not in anyway a experienced chicken person.

I am glad he is starting to scab up!! That's good news!! I would think if you get him up and walking with the band aids it would take pressure off his tummy right? Making healing much faster?
If you can, make sure the others see him, and he can see them, might make indroducting him back in a bit easier.
Understand, I am not in anyway a experienced chicken person.
I appreciate the advice! I set him up so he is with them but they are not able to peck. I mixed yogurt with the water with electrolytes and he took about 1.25 mg which doesn't seem like a lot but he stopped chirping excessively so at least his little belly is full now.

Put it this way, every time I did the float test and it didn't move I opened it up and they were dead. So if you are well past the hatch date, candle just to be sure then go ahead.
Don't feel bad, I built my own incubator the first time and used the water heater thermostat that I saw on utube and killed all but one of the eggs!!
I then did the wafer and had more hatch, then tried the all in one thermostat heater combo from incubator warehouse, and that was so much better! However I still stink at it!! Thinking of a brinsea!!

Back
Top Bottom