Chick mishap

brahmabantam

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 11, 2014
This is are second time we are hatching chicks. We are using a broody hen. So today I see that one of the eggs has pipped,so I brought it down to the house. Last year a different hen incubated the chicks, but she killed one, so we brought down all the eggs that were pipped. So when I had seen the pipped egg, I brought it down. We set up the little brooding area ( for the egg to complete the hatch) and put a heat lamp over the egg. Unfortunately it looks like the chick died in the shell
hmm.png
. Is this because the heat lamp was to hot or because the chick wasn't strong enough?

Thanks

Well it could be a number of reasons. Usually for my chicks, its that the humidity gets too low and the film inside the egg dries and the chicken suffocates. Another reason is it could have had too much humidity and drowned in the egg. If it wasn't strong enough, I'm sure it wouldn't have pipped. If it wasn't strong and died think of it as natural selection, because you want a strong chick not one who will be picked on.

Thanks for the input. There was a descent hole in the egg ( the pipped part ).

Thanks again

This is are second time we are hatching chicks. We are using a broody hen. So today I see that one of the eggs has pipped,so I brought it down to the house. Last year a different hen incubated the chicks, but she killed one, so we brought down all the eggs that were pipped. So when I had seen the pipped egg, I brought it down. We set up the little brooding area ( for the egg to complete the hatch) and put a heat lamp over the egg. Unfortunately it looks like the chick died in the shell
hmm.png
. Is this because the heat lamp was to hot or because the chick wasn't strong enough?

Thanks
If the heat lamp was too hot, yes it could be a contributor but I think the greater concern here is a source of humidity. It sounds to me like you have the egg in an open area, uncovered with just a light and no source of humidity. A broody hen supplies humidity with her body artificial hatchers provide humidity in the incubator with water sources. The humidity is needed in order for the chicken to be able to hatch. With out proper humidity the chick will either become shrinkwrapped in the shell or glued in the membranes as it dries out. Both cases keep the chick from being able to move within the shell and turn to start a zip and to finish the hatch. A heat lamp over an egg, (if it didn't over heat it) would dry the membranes out quite quickly if there was no added humidity.

Well it could be a number of reasons. Usually for my chicks, its that the humidity gets too low and the film inside the egg dries and the chicken suffocates. Another reason is it could have had too much humidity and drowned in the egg. If it wasn't strong enough, I'm sure it wouldn't have pipped. If it wasn't strong and died think of it as natural selection, because you want a strong chick not one who will be picked on.
Many chicks that pip and do not make it out are not a matter of natural selection but a matter of human innacurracy during the incubation process. Good chances are that the chick was strong and would have been a very viable bird, but because we do not provide adequate hatching conditions it can not do what it needs to do to hatch.

Many chicks that pip and do not make it out are not a matter of natural selection but a matter of human innacurracy during the incubation process. Good chances are that the chick was strong and would have been a very viable bird, but because we do not provide adequate hatching conditions it can not do what it needs to do to hatch.
Yep, chick dried out after pipping

Ok

Good to now for next time.

Thanks everyone.

PS I am guessing that the chick is dead then?

thanks

Ok

Good to now for next time.

Thanks everyone.

PS I am guessing that the chick is dead then?

thanks
If it's not moving there's a good chance it has. You should definitely check it because if not then you need to get some moisture to the egg. I was under the assumption that you already figured it was gone. Either way, I would inspect it and if it is, I would do an eggtopsy so that you can see for yourself what happened.

On another note. I would let the broody do her thing, especially if you have not had any problems with her yet. They usually fair better under the hen if you don't have the proper set up for hatching. It's not fair to judge her ability to mother the chicks based on another hen's actions.

Back
Top Bottom