Chick not eating and gaping

nisha123

Hatching
May 5, 2016
My orphaned chick hasn't been eating at all. It picks something once in a while but drops it. It is drinking though. This morning I saw it gaping constantly as though something is stuck in its throat. It is responsive otherwise, like yelling if we leave it alone. Pooping only water. Please help, we all love it so much.

My orphaned chick hasn't been eating at all. It picks something once in a while but drops it. It is drinking though. This morning I saw it gaping constantly as though something is stuck in its throat. It is responsive otherwise, like yelling if we leave it alone. Pooping only water. Please help, we all love it so much.

Welcome to BYC.
Can you post photos of the chick and your brooder set up?
How old is the chick?
What is the brooder temperature?
Offer some water with vitamins/electrolytes like Nutri-Drench or Sav-A-Chick. If she won't drink you can take an eye dropper or needle less syringe and drop a drop of water next to her beak. They will usually take it in. It's a slow process, but chicks will dehydrate very quickly.
Also they will sometimes eat wet chick starter better, so mix a little water with the starter and see if she will eat that.
If she is a lone chick, she will be unhappy, some people put a small stuffed animal in the brooder for it to snuggle with.

Back
Top Bottom