Chick not eating!

chickenweirdo1

Songster
Mar 23, 2016
Massachusetts
One of my 2 day old chicks is not eating. She is very tired and is not really walking around, and when she does its only to get water. When i pick her up she is very limp and almost lifeless it seems like then i put her down and she moves around just like her head and stuff. She also seems to be panting?

One of my 2 day old chicks is not eating. She is very tired and is not really walking around, and when she does its only to get water. When i pick her up she is very limp and almost lifeless it seems like then i put her down and she moves around just like her head and stuff. She also  seems to be panting?

Is the brooder to warm? Is there enough air ventilation able to cone into the brooder.
I would recommend getting some food into her

If she's panting your brooder is way too hot, they can get heat stroke, measure your temperatures and keep them the first week between 85-90 right under the heat and areas that are much cooler away from the light.

The brooder was at 83 degrees. She wasn't looking good straight out of the box, she died last night which stinks but i thing she was suffering. So its better this way. THANKS FOR THE HELP

I have three game chicks they are a couple weeks old and they will not eat except tiny white pieces in their food. They waste all the rest . What do u think they will eat? Is there some special food or something? Thanks for all the help u can give me :)

I have three game chicks they are a couple weeks old and they will not eat except tiny white pieces in their food. They waste all the rest . What do u think they will eat? Is there some special food or something? Thanks for all the help u can give me :)
They should clean up the wasted feed. They are picking out their favorite parts. Is it an actual chick feed? You should try a different type of feeder so they aren't just spooning it out.

I have heard this called failure to thrive. And it is rather common to have one or two chicks that don't make it, they just don't eat, and are not active, and generally die within one or two days. You can get this from chicks you order, chicks you hatch or chicks hatched under a broody hen. Something is just not quite right. Focus on the strong ones, probably not your fault.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom