Chick Shaking Head, Eyes Closed, Lethargic

cnol

Songster
Oct 19, 2018
Just as the title says I have a baby chick about 2-4 days old. He or she is shaking head some not often, eyes closed almost always - opening sometimes when I pick it up, lethargic and sleeping all day. It is eating and I am giving it an electrolyte mix (water, brown sugar, salt, baking soda).

Any help at all? We got 9 chicks from Rural King - 4 have survived.

I'm really upset and I'm beating myself up.

Just as the title says I have a baby chick about 2-4 days old. He or she is shaking head some not often, eyes closed almost always - opening sometimes when I pick it up, lethargic and sleeping all day. It is eating and I am giving it an electrolyte mix (water, brown sugar, salt, baking soda).

Any help at all? We got 9 chicks from Rural King - 4 have survived.

I'm really upset and I'm beating myself up.
Get your chicks started on Corid 9.6% liquid solution immediately. It should be in the cattle section at your feed store. Dosage is 9.5cc's per gallon. Make it fresh daily for 5-7 days and dont add anything else to the mixture. You might have to use an eyedropper to give the liquid on the side of their beak so they can swallow the liquid and add some of the mixture in their feed to eat.
Stop the sugar, salt and baking soda. They should be fed starter/grower feed only. Ensure they have a heat lamp to keep them warm.

Get your chicks started on Corid 9.6% liquid solution immediately. It should be in the cattle section at your feed store. Dosage is 9.5cc's per gallon. Make it fresh daily for 5-7 days and dont add anything else to the mixture. You might have to use an eyedropper to give the liquid on the side of their beak so they can swallow the liquid and add some of the mixture in their feed to eat.
Stop the sugar, salt and baking soda. They should be fed starter/grower feed only. Ensure they have a heat lamp to keep them warm.
Alright, do you know whats happening?

It sounds like cocci. Ensure your waterers and feeders are cleaned free of feces and disinfect them with ammonia/water solution including their brooder.
Thank you. Husband is picking up the Corid and ammonia now.

Dont forget to keep the chicks away from ammonia fumes when disinfecting, maybe putting them in a cardboard box temporarily would be a good thing or whatever you can come up with.

Dont forget to keep the chicks away from ammonia fumes when disinfecting, maybe putting them in a cardboard box temporarily would be a good thing or whatever you can come up with.
Will do. I'm reading to use Nutri-Drench after the treatments are complete?

Make sure that your chicks are not suffering from pasty butt, and can poop normally. I have seen a lot of feed store chicks suffering from shipping stress that seem to have poo on their vents. Make sure they are taking plenty of the Corid water. Dip their beaks as often as possible every hour, since they may be dehydrated or sleepy. Good luck, and I hope they survive.

Make sure that your chicks are not suffering from pasty butt, and can poop normally. I have seen a lot of feed store chicks suffering from shipping stress that seem to have poo on their vents. Make sure they are taking plenty of the Corid water. Dip their beaks as often as possible every hour, since they may be dehydrated or sleepy. Good luck, and I hope they survive.
Thank you. Some of them that died did have pasty butt (one really serious) and I cleaned it off but they didn't live much longer. Only a couple of hours from store to home.

I think I may have bitten off more than I can chew with trying to raise chicks. :( I'm really emotional seeing them sick and dying...

Back
Top Bottom