Chick with a wobbly head, little help please!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by frillydishes, Dec 23, 2014.

1. frillydishes

frillydishes Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2014
    Cedar Creek, TX
    [​IMG]

This is a little barred rock that hatched early this morning and he's a bit off...sorry for the picture quality but every one I took was blurry. He holds his head like he swallowing water all the time, he doesn't hold it normally like the rest of the chicks. He ends up on his back quite a bit because of it. When I hold him and straighten him out he almost looks like he's got a hump in his back but I almost think it might just be that since his neck takes such a dip it's an optical illusion. I'm hoping he will drink, I tried to give him water with a q-tip and he was pretty annoyed with that. Any tips?? Thanks in advance!!

2. ChickenLover172

ChickenLover172 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2014
    North Carolina
    I don't have much experience with raising chicks, but it could be normal. If it gets any worse, or it doesn't get any better soon, it could be a sign of a disorder, again the wobbling and stuff could be normal. Poor thing[​IMG]

3. frillydishes

Aug 28, 2014
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Thanks! I've had too many chicks to count and I've never seen this. Being wobbly for a bit after hatch I am used to but he can't or is having a hard time looking forward. The other chicks that hatched at the same time are standing around in the brooder and he isn't standing much.

4. chippysmom327

chippysmom327 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2012
    Apollo, PA
  5. frillydishes

Aug 28, 2014
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Thanks you SOOO much!! [​IMG]
    I ran out and got some vitamin drops and we'll see how it goes!

6. chippysmom327

Nov 26, 2012
    Apollo, PA

You're welcome so much! :hugs

Hope he improves!!!

7. frillydishes

Aug 28, 2014
    Cedar Creek, TX

8. chippysmom327

Nov 26, 2012
    Apollo, PA
    3-5 drops in the beak per day for grown birds.

I'd say one drop of the Poly-Vi-Sol in the beak every evening, since she's a baby.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
  9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would give thiamine (vitamin B1,) vitamin E, and selenium. Poultry Nutri-Drench and Poultry Cell vitamins both contain all 3 and just follow the label instructions. If using PolyVisol without iron, give 2-3 drops, and for selenium, give a small amount of egg or scratch off a small amount of a selenium tablet 25 mcg daily. Here are some links to read about encephalomalacia or stargazing:
    http://partnersah.vet.cornell.edu/content/vitamin-e-and-selenium-deficiency
    http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/pou..._poultry/vitamin_deficiencies_in_poultry.html

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by