Chick with spraddled leg not healing

gracie.girl

Hatching
Nov 20, 2017
9CA6D023-903C-4C79-8E2F-B5BDD09DED72.jpeg The brace 2613E6CC-8E86-4C35-8F0A-3AAB3BD6C97E.jpeg Trying to stand without the brace. 7DA4460F-E84F-482D-8287-EC940535784F.jpeg Helping it stand 180C2FFA-5757-42C9-BDBA-5A6E03CF43F6.jpeg with the brace

Hi, I am fairly new to to the incubating world but I have had chickens for many years but I have not yet encountered spraddled leg until now. One of my chicks that hatched last Tuesday (11/14/17) has not been able to walk because of its legs. I did some research and put on a brace made of a rubber band and a tiny piece of a straw for a separator. I put the brace on her on Thursday and I have seen improvements but I feel dreadfully sorry for the poor thing and I don't know if I am doing something wrong and if I should put it out of its misery?
I have been keeping it separate from the others and it's currently in the incubator because it has a nice grippy floor which the brooder box doesn't have. If I help it and set her feet down she can stand up for a little bit but then it freaks out and tips over. If I don't touch it it flails around but can never stay upright. I really don't have a good idea of what I am doing and from some article and videos I watched, it should be better. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 613F1E13-FB94-41A7-8FD1-2C3309B1CEEC.jpeg
    613F1E13-FB94-41A7-8FD1-2C3309B1CEEC.jpeg
    270.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
So she's able to move her legs and they bend okay and everything? But when not in the brace they splay out to the sides?

Do you happen to have a picture? And maybe also a picture of her in the brace you made?

I would use either vet wrap, tape, or a bandaid rather than a rubber band. If you position the legs about 1 1/4 inches apart, that would be good. The vet wrap can be easily removed and repositioned. The hobble needs to stay on at least 3 days or more.

Hi! I am fairly new to to the incubating world but I have had chickens for many years but I have not yet encountered spraddled leg until now. One of my chicks that hatched last Tuesday (11/14/17) has not been able to walk because of its legs. I did some research and put on a brace made of a rubber band and a tiny piece of a straw for a separator. I put the brace on her on Thursday and I have seen improvements but I feel dreadfully sorry for the poor thing and I don't know if I am doing something wrong and if I should put it out of its misery?
I have been keeping it separate from the others and it's currently in the incubator because it has a nice grippy floor which the brooder box doesn't have. If I help it and set her feet down she can stand up for a little bit but then it freaks out and tips over. If I don't touch it it flails around but can never stay upright. I really don't have a good idea of what I am doing and from some article and videos I watched, it should be better. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I had a sprattled leg one previously and I used a similar brace, I used a kids hair tie since it's got cloth on it unlike a actual rubber band and used a straw also.
You have to leave it on a few days and monitor to see if she can stand it sonetines takes a while.

So she's able to move her legs and they bend okay and everything? But when not in the brace they splay out to the sides?

Do you happen to have a picture? And maybe also a picture of her in the brace you made?

Yes she is able to bend/move them normally and yes, they splay when it's not in the brace. I will take some pictures now.

I would use either vet wrap, tape, or a bandaid rather than a rubber band. If you position the legs about 1 1/4 inches apart, that would be good. The vet wrap can be easily removed and repositioned. The hobble needs to stay on at least 3 days or more.
Okay thanks for the advice. I'm glad to hear that it's not taking longer than usual.

I had a sprattled leg one previously and I used a similar brace, I used a kids hair tie since it's got cloth on it unlike a actual rubber band and used a straw also.
You have to leave it on a few days and monitor to see if she can stand it sonetines takes a while.
All right, thank you. I'll try to find one that is small enough with cloth.

Back
Top Bottom