Chick with wry neck, help me with dosing? :(

2 many chickens

Crowing
Jan 14, 2017
I have a chick just hatched today with obvious wry neck. I have it propped up in the incubator and have offered straight nutri drench. I have 200 selenium pill and 400mg vitamin e gel pills.
How do I go about giving this to this baby? Mix them both together and mix with water? Or offer one at a time? Offer a bit 2-3 times a day? Halp meee

Hi there. :frow

Holding the chick in your hand, beak facing the bend in your forefinger to help catch and direct it, do a small drip just below the nostrils on the beak. The drop will roll around into the mouth and they *usually* gobble it down by instinct.

I have been successful doing this with nutri drench only... a drip or two every couple hours until the chick was up and mad to be alone.

Looks like B12 is key...
http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/wry-neck

If this hatched from your eggs... I would consider which bird it came from and maybe supplement them some... THOUGH... the bird may be getting enough to support itself and eating eggs... but not hatching eggs.

:fl

all I added was D poli visol and B complex drops 1 drop each given by mouth and put 4 more in their waterer, and did light massage, was a big chick in the egg and couldn't seem to work the kink out, next morning it was fine

Holding the chick in your hand, beak facing the bend in your forefinger to help catch and direct it, do a small drip just below the nostrils on the beak. The drop will roll around into the mouth and they *usually* gobble it down by instinct.

I have been successful doing this with nutri drench only... a drip or two every couple hours until the chick was up and mad to be alone.

Looks like B12 is key...

If this hatched from your eggs... I would consider which bird it came from and maybe supplement them some... THOUGH... the bird may be getting enough to support itself and eating eggs... but not hatching eggs.

Thank you!
So do you think I should stop the viat E and selenium? Just smash up a B12 and offer some? Only gave him a dribble of the viat E so far. He seems to be more chirpy but maybe it is because of the nutri drench.
Thank you for your time and help, this wry neck is a first for me. The egg came from one of my birds but all the others [9] chicks had no issues.

all I added was D poli visol and B complex drops 1 drop each given my mouth and put 4 more in their waterer, and did light massage, was a big chick in the egg and couldn't seem to work the kink out, next morning it was fine
Okay not to sound like a total dummy but do you know the name of the poly vol stuff?

Looks like B12 is key...

The B12 in this link is wrong—it should be B1 thiamine, in which a deficiency can also cause wry neck, as well as E deficiency. They also have made an error in their link about riboflavin deficiency where they recommend vitamin B 12, but they seem to have recently corredted it.

Last edited:
The B12 in this link is wrong—it should be B1 thiamine, which can also cause wry neck, as well as E. They also have made an error in their link about riboflavin deficiency where they recommend vitamin B 12, but they seem to have recently corredted it.
I thought something sounded wrong... :hmm

It's so frustrating! :he

I do see them updating and changing that site all the time but not always for the better. Think I will be sure to double check Merck or others for future reference. Thank you! :thumbsup

Thanks guys.. nothing I'm doing is working. 24 hours in and no improvement. I've tried viat.E,B12 and Selenium.. along with Nutri drench. I've tried holding him with his neck in position as physical therapy, blag blah.. he just keeps flopping over as if his neck weighs 100lbs...

Hi all, not sure if anyone is even following this thread but little dude is still alive. No control over neck yet.. but he is able to eat mash when I hold his head up and put a spoon near his face.. he actually pecks and eats. Still on the vitamin E, B and Selenium with the nutri drench here and there. Haven't had a chance to get the polyvisol. I wish I could find a way to prop him up but nothing works. He finds a way to flop back on his back everytime...

Back
Top Bottom