Chicken acting strangely

RS16017

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 13, 2014
I have a Rode island Red that's about 11/2 years old. She molted in Oct and all seemed well until a few days ago. She looks alright. Comb is upright and bright red. Eyes are clear and orange like they alwya are. She doesn't eat like she should and I've noticed what I belive to be her eggs have turned pale and aren't brown like they were and the shell is rough textured. Weather has been up and down. 80 one day 30-40 the next. I'm wondering if she's getting broody. She never has been before so I figure it's about time. She was the alpha hen till I put in a Barred Plymouth in the fall. They don't fight the Plymouth just seems to be more "outgoing" you might say. Is there anything I should look for on my Rode Island Red. All the others in the flock seem fine.

Have you looked up egg abnormalities? Lots of good information.

Edited to add:
Rhode Islands have been bred to be egg laying machines. That means the desire to hatch chicks has been bred out of them. I do not think you have a broody on your hands.
If she is eating, drinking, pooping, and walking normally then I do doubt that she is ill.

Last edited:
Well, the Rode Island didn't make it. I wish I knew why. She showed no outward signs other than she was lethargic and would just lay down. Since the episode with the rough textured egg the other day I wonder if she had an egg that wouldn't pass. This was our only Rode Island and out of the original bunch we bought about a year ago when we started keeping chickens. My wife is saddened by her passing. On average how many chickens does a normal flock lose in a year. I feel we get to sentimenal about our birds and maybe we shouldn't. I'll be looking for another Rhode Island Red to replace her in our flock. I hope it just affected her and the rest of the flock will be okay. As a precaution I thoroughly cleaned the coop with amonia and put a little Corid in their water. We see what tomorrow brings.

hugs.gif

I am sorry she passed. Yes we do get sentimental about our chickens. I do not think small backyard flocks should lose chickens every year. I myself have lost 5 in the last year. All were fairly young and all came from the same hatchery. I did have 24 hens so not such a small flock. I am culling the rest of the ones from that hatchery and getting ones from a hopefully more genetically strong hatchery.
Be careful about trying to integrate a lone chicken. The others will see her as an intruder and can be brutal. I would add at least 2 making sure she is buddied up with the other before adding them.
Lots of information on BYC about adding hens to existing flocks.

Personally since I want my hens to live a long time I try and stay away from the typical production birds that are bred to lay a lot of eggs in the first couple years. I think it makes them have shorter lives.

Hoping for the best for you and your flock

Babs

Back
Top Bottom