Chicken Attacked a while back, Preening gland might be damaged?

TalulaJ

In the Brooder
Jun 23, 2023
Hello!
So my lovely 2 year old buff orpington was attacked by a raccoon that got into the coop last summer. It tore up her back pretty badly but she made it through, and while she had a bare (and blu-koted) back for most of the fall and winter, her feathers grew back this spring; you'd hardly know anything had happened to her. However, I've noticed when it rains or when she gets wet, she looks drenched and wet while our other two chickens have water bead up and roll off of them, and they stay fluffy. I'm worried that the attack damaged her preening gland-- do I need to do anything about that? I think I am going to be more intentional about keeping her out of the rain, but is there any more that I should do, like add a natural oil to her back, or add an oil to her diet beyond what is in her feed/scratch? Will she be uncomfortable without an oil to preen in to her feathers?
Our vet doesn't seem concerned but this poor thing looks pitiful.
Thanks everyone!!!

Can you post photos of her preening gland and of her?

If you lightly press on the tip of the gland, does a slight drop of oil come out?

Some birds have softer feathers than others and can look quite pitiful when wet, it may have nothing to do with a functioning gland.
If she's not bothered by being wet then I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Back
Top Bottom