Chicken attacked by hawk, injured, help.

saraellen1179

Hatching
7 Years
May 20, 2012
I just went outside to hang diapers on the line and noticed in the back corner of the yard a big brown wing. I went over quickly and found a hawk, grabbed a stick and started hitting it. It was tangled up in the ivy and chain-link fence. But, I was able to get the girls away from the hawk. Two of them seem ok, but one of them got some wounds. The hawk must have grabbed her on the top of her head, there is blood on the side close to her ear and on the other side I found a little after going through her feathers, also found a spot on the underside of her wing. The one that worries me is the one by her ear. It is not gushing blood, and really doesn't seem to be bleeding anymore, but I also can't get a good look (she won't let me touch that area). I am just hoping someone can tell me what to look for and worry about, or what I can do. She is back in the coop, hiding in the nesting box, we put some water up there so she can stay up there.

Of the three girls, she is the last one I would have thought would get attacked. One of them limps and is very slow, so I like to think maybe this one was trying to protect the weaker one. Of course the one that got attacked doesn't ever let us pick her up, but now she is more than willing to be held.

Just looking for some advice, never thought I would get so attached. Thanks.

I've never gone through a hawk attack but I've had my birds attacked by other things. Depending on how deep the wound is, I've used...dang...I can't remember what it's called, but you can the co-op or tractor supply....It's a dust than helps coterize the wound and stops the bleeding. The one that is most injured I would try to get her and bring her inside with you. Wrap her up in a towel and keep her dark and quiet. Depending on the chicken's size you'll need to find an appropriate container that she can't fly out of. I've never lost an injured bird that was attacked, but sadly lost them to coon attacks or foxes. Chickens are tough birds. They never cease to amaze me.

Keep us posted! Hope your hens heal quickly!

Tracy

When one of our chickens gets an attack like that, I'll separate it. Most of the time, the bird is in shock and I just make sure everything is calm & quiet around it. I usually put antibiotic ointment on the wounds two to three times a day to keep the wounds moist which helps prevent bad bacteria from getting trapped under the scabs. I'll also put the chicken on Duramycin for seven days to fight infection. I generally have the chicken drink one cup of it and then let it have plain water the rest of the day. Look carefully for pussy areas and especially tend to those areas. Like Whispering Raven said, chickens are tough birds. As long as you do your best to take care of her, I'm sure she'll do fine. :)

The wound powder is called Wound Cote. Anytime a chicken has an open wound you need to separate if for now other reason than the fact that the others will zero in on the blood and peck their little hearts out. Pioneer Chicken has great info.....I second it..... :thumbsup

My Banty just got attacked. Her skin,size of a baseball is loose from her body. No major bleeding,but I can see her muscle.
Will she be ok?
I have everything to treat infection,just not sure if a wound like this will heal.
I don't want her to suffer.

Last edited:
My Banty just got attacked. Her skin,size of a baseball is loose from her body. No major bleeding,but I can see her muscle.
Will she be ok?
I have everything to treat infection,just not sure if a wound like this will heal.
I don't want her to suffer.
Can you start a new thread of your own here where it will get more attention:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures.10/create-thread
To start I would bring her inside to a laundry basket or dog crate with a clean towel or puppy pads as bedding. A vet could give the best care if the wound needs closing. Is she in shock or awake and alert? You can use saline to clean the wound, or chlorhexidene, weak betadine, or plain water from a kitchen sprayer to clean out any debris or dirt. Wring out some saline dressings, and place them over the wound. Pictures really are helpful. I will look for your new thread.

I would try to find Vetericyn wound spray from your feed store to use on the wound twice a day. Plain Neosporin/Triple Antibiotic Ointment can help on smaller wounds.

I have Vetericyn and spraying every three hours cause I can see the Meat,muscle,getting dry.
She is in A lot of pain,rolling her head and squeezing her feet.
I sure don't want her to be in so much pain she can't heal.
Where do you draw the line from letting her heal and she's too wounded to help?
Thank you Kindly!

Back
Top Bottom