Chicken being heavily picked on

chirpingstad

Songster
Oct 14, 2020
Michigan
I have a chicken who recovered from a broken leg, it snapped right where it connects with her hip so there was no way to splint it, she was on anti inflammatory medication and kept in a dog cage for a month. The vet told me she’d always have a slight limp and wouldn’t walk normally again. I reintroduced her to the flock, there was some pecking order fighting, as she used to be high in the pecking order, but nothing too crazy. There has been a few scuffles, but nothing to worry about. Recently however, every chicken including those lowest in the order are picking on her. They corner her and stomp on her, and peck at her head. They do it to the point where she refuses to leave the coop, and only leaves it a few times in a day, where everyone else chases her around until she runs back in. My concern is they sense that she is still not ‘normal’ by their standards, and are picking on her because of her slight limp. I saw them doing it to her today, I showed them off and saw she has a wound on the back of her head from where they’re pecking her. Is it possible they’ll never accept her because of her limp? Should I build a separate enclosure for her so that she can live in peace? Any advice is appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom