Chicken Breed Focus - Appenzeller Spitzhauben

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by sumi, Aug 13, 2015.

1. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge True BYC Addict

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    I like hearing that they are perhaps friendlier than my loudmouthed Hamburgs. LOVE her crazy hair.

2. RedBreasted

RedBreasted Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2014
    Idaho
    Very interesting bird. I like the fluff on the head. I don't see any of these breeds in Idaho. Looks rare...

3. CrazyChickLady7

CrazyChickLady7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2015
    I LOVE mine.they are so sweet and gentle. Always the first to snuggle and the last to leave. 5 star personality wise [​IMG]

4. Farmgirlmaggie

Farmgirlmaggie New Egg

May 1, 2015
    Stoneville, NC
    Can I purchase AppenzellerSpitzhauben in the USA and will they do ok in central North Carolina?

5. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Meyers Hatchery has them but I think right now they only have males. If you don't mind hatchery quality, you could check back with them later.

6. CrazyTalk

CrazyTalk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2014
    If you're going to buy hatchery birds, you're much better off going to Cackle - they've been importing Spitz roosters the last couple of years. That being said, we're probably too late in the year to get chicks from any of the big guys.

HenBags likes this.
  7. Sarah4

Sarah4 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2014
    [​IMG]
    Here's my 4 month old hen. She came from a place where there were a lot of chickens and I think they all plucked her tail feathers out. Will they grow back? Her beak is also crooked. Poor girl she has had a rough life but she is in good hands now.

1 person likes this.
  8. CrazyChickLady7

CrazyChickLady7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2015
    They should grow back. It is easier and faster for them to grow back their feathers if you give them extra protein and veggies.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
  9. RezChamp

RezChamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Gorgeous.
    I've owned the silver before.(actually they owned me because I was willing to stay up all night on a couple of occasions to see and destroy whatever it was that was predating them.)
    I have never seen the gold before. OMG[​IMG].The black tail..... ummm hmmmm.

They did well enough here in Central Manitoba where it usually gets to -30*C during any given Dec., & Jan. with about a week of -40to-45 and the occasional -50 and a bit lower.[​IMG]
    They laid all winter.
    Friendly little buggers too. Approachable and personable unlike my RIR's.
    But yes them golds are sure gorgeous.
    Thanks for the pix everyone.[​IMG]

IvanK likes this.
  10. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

I think the two breeds are very similar.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by