Chicken Breed Focus - Appenzeller Spitzhauben

I am sad to hear they are not heat tolerant. šŸ˜• This summer we've had temps in the mid to high 90's, with heat indeces around 105Ā°F due to high humidity. My EE and Black Australorp seem to be handling it okay and, although production did drop for a week or two, they are picking back up again as temps drop back into the 80's. Noise doesn't matter here and I find these birds very attractive. What do you think, is it too hot for them here? Didn't someone mention a breeder here in Missouri?
Is the EE fluffy with a tiny pea comb?

If yes, and she is fine, then I am sure a Spitz would be fine as well.

Is the EE fluffy with a tiny pea comb?

If yes, and she is fine, then I am sure a Spitz would be fine as well.
I have several EE's, and have had for years. They do great. Thanks, this is good to know! Am really enjoying this thread. I have a full house at the moment, but will put them on my "wish" list.

I had a neighbor dog come inside my living room and eat 11 of 12 baby chicks. I thought they were all dead but three hours later I heard a little peep under my couch and there was Harriet Tubman, my little Appenzeller Spitzhauben. I named my chicken coop after her. Because sheā€™s a survivor. The Harriet Tubman finishing school for renegade chicks and spent hens. She is definitely a loner, not real into people which is unusual in my 32 chickens who are overall fairly friendly. Here she is
17784314-63D7-4261-811C-BFE0E271AB78.jpeg

I am sad to hear they are not heat tolerant. šŸ˜• This summer we've had temps in the mid to high 90's, with heat indeces around 105Ā°F due to high humidity. My EE and Black Australorp seem to be handling it okay and, although production did drop for a week or two, they are picking back up again as temps drop back into the 80's. Noise doesn't matter here and I find these birds very attractive. What do you think, is it too hot for them here? Didn't someone mention a breeder here in Missouri?
My Spitzhaubens don't mind the heat. We've had heat indexes over 100F many many times. The Spitzes seem to do just fine. I don't see them panting like some of the other breeds I have, leghorns and Sussex especially. And they have kept laying, tho everyone slowed down some.

My Spitzhaubens don't mind the heat. We've had heat indexes over 100F many many times. The Spitzes seem to do just fine. I don't see them panting like some of the other breeds I have, leghorns and Sussex especially. And they have kept laying, tho everyone slowed down some.
Thank you, good to hear!

I had a neighbor dog come inside my living room and eat 11 of 12 baby chicks. I thought they were all dead but three hours later I heard a little peep under my couch and there was Harriet Tubman, my little Appenzeller Spitzhauben. I named my chicken coop after her. Because sheā€™s a survivor. The Harriet Tubman finishing school for renegade chicks and spent hens. She is definitely a loner, not real into people which is unusual in my 32 chickens who are overall fairly friendly. Here she isView attachment 2272810
Pretty girl!

Mine does well in both cold and heat. It's only my very large Orpingtons and Bielefelders that have issues in heat.

Mine does well in both cold and heat. It's only my very large Orpingtons and Bielefelders that have issues in heat.
Wonderful news, you're the third or fourth person to assure me of this. šŸ˜€ I've got them on my Wish List, but it will be a year or two before I'll be able to act on it. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom