Chicken Breed Focus - Ayam Cemani

Pics
Can someone help me figure out the breed of this hen? I thought cemani at first but Pyxis verified it's not. Thought maybe someone here could point out other black skinned breeds that she might be. She is all black but has a pink mouth and white toenail. Thanks.

Where did you get her again? I can't remember. I know as a chick she had some white. If I remember correctly where you got her from was very unlikely to have ACs. I think you said Tractor Supply? I'd say sumatra but sumatras have pea combs, I think. Maybe a mix or a hatchery has picked up ACs/Svart Honas (I wouldn't be surprised if Meyer does eventually) and they sent one to Tractor Supply accidentally. It's very odd at any rate.

Last edited:
Where did you get her again? I can't remember. I know as a chick she was much lighter. If I remember correctly where you got her from was very unlikely to have ACs. I think you said Tractor Supply? If that's the case my guess would be black sumatra. The hens look like this:

Yes it was our local tractor supply. I tried looking up other dark skinned breeds but am having a hard time finding one that looks similar. I thought maybe Sumatra but she doesn't really have any green beetle sheen. I was also thinking maybe American game hen but I can't find anyone to verify. I tried posting in the breed thread again but still no one knows lol. So frustrating.as a chick she had a few white toenails and white tipped wings with a spot of white on her chest. I feel like she was an accident whatever she is. Their was not one other chick in the box like her.

Yes it was our local tractor supply. I tried looking up other dark skinned breeds but am having a hard time finding one that looks similar. I thought maybe Sumatra but she doesn't really have any green beetle sheen. I was also thinking maybe American game hen but I can't find anyone to verify. I tried posting in the breed thread again but still no one knows lol. So frustrating.as a chick she had a few white toenails and white tipped wings with a spot of white on her chest. I feel like she was an accident whatever she is. Their was not one other chick in the box like her.

You quoted me before I edited, lol. You're right, not sumatra, she doesn't have the right comb. It's all very odd.

Ok I tracked down the hatchery through the tractor supply store and then emailed them a pic and they got back to me. They said she is a sumatra. That makes no sense to me though. She has the wrong kind of comb and her feet are black not yellow..

Sounds like perhaps bad breeding, not uncommon in hatcheries unfortunately :/

fine roosters enjoying the sun I've noticed varying sized of my Cemanies. Two of the cockerels are rather large, while three others are smaller. Is this normal for the breed?
Sizes can vary... I have 2 cockerels from same hatch/source... one is larger and more game like and the other is shorter and stouter... just pick the best one overall for your keeper...

Figured I'd share a couple of mine... hatched from cjwaldon's flock... :)

Amazing temperaments... love watching how different their flock dynamics are...

Back
Top Bottom