Chicken Breed Focus - Ayam Cemani

Pics
How money is it to buy 8 or 10 eggs from you pyxis the black meat ones because my uncle and dad want them for my mix black meat and thai chicken.

How money is it to buy 8 or 10 eggs from you pyxis the black meat ones because my uncle and dad want them for my mix black meat and thai chicken.

Hello! Usually I sell them at $15 an egg. Most of mine are molting now and aren't laying, but if you're interested send me a pm and we'll work something out :)

Does anyone here sell roosters? I'm really very happy with my hens, they are black and have a great look about them, but it seems all my roosters have some redness to their waddles and combs. I'd like to get rid of that if I can, and am not sure that will be possible to breed out using these roosters.

Thanks!

People do sell roosters. The problem with roosters, is that their faults can show up a lot later than most people buy and sell. I have 6 month old roosters that look fantastic, that doesnt mean that some mulberry wont show up closer to a year. If you are willing to spent over $300-400 dollars, you can buy a 1+year old rooster and have a better idea of what you are getting.

I would like to get others opinion regarding an observation that I have made regarding the color of my roosters wattles. I have 2 breeding pens of AC that are in separate areas on my property. One of the pens has a trio of 1 year olds that I hatched out from eggs and the 2nd pen has a quad of 2 year olds that I bought already laying. To my knowledge, both pens are unrelated. My hens wattles and combs stay consistently black. However, my rooster's wattles were for the most part all black with maybe just a hint of mulberry but I notice that they both have changed recently. Even though Cemanis are all black, their blood is still red and the purpose of a chickens comb & wattles are to help regulate their body temperatures (since chickens don't sweat). You would think that in the hotter weather, their wattles would be more red since their is more blood circulating through them but what I find interesting is that now that it is fall and temperatures are cooling, both my unrelated roosters wattles are now showing more mulberry than during the hot summer. Has anyone else noticed anything seasonal or temperature related that triggers the coloring in their combs and wattles?

I would like to get others opinion regarding an observation that I have made regarding the color of my roosters wattles.  I have 2 breeding pens of AC that are in separate areas on my property. One of the pens has a trio of 1 year olds that I hatched out from eggs and the 2nd pen has a quad of 2 year olds that I bought already laying.  To my knowledge, both pens are unrelated.  My hens wattles and combs stay consistently black. However, my rooster's wattles were for the most part all black with maybe just a hint of mulberry but I notice that they both have changed recently.  Even though Cemanis are all black, their blood is still red and the purpose of a chickens comb & wattles are to help regulate their body temperatures (since chickens don't sweat).  You would think that in the hotter weather, their wattles would be more red since their is more blood circulating through them but what I find interesting is that now that it is fall and temperatures are cooling, both my unrelated roosters wattles are now showing more mulberry than during the hot summer.  Has anyone else noticed anything seasonal or temperature related that triggers the coloring in their combs and wattles?

I'm still very much new to the breed, but you might try posting your question here...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/862688/the-american-cemani-breeders-club-open-forum

Several long time breeders on that thread... curious, how old are your males? I've noticed more mulberry/red showing up as they mature more and their wattles get longer, but recently it appears mine are darkening now that it's cooling down...

Are the chicks more fragile/tender than other breeds. Had 7 hatch this week, but lost 3 within 1 day of hatching. Figured maybe the brooder plate wasn't warm enough for that particular breed and plugged in a heat lamp, though the other breeds seemed to be OK with the plate brooder, even the silkies. Ideas why I lost them?

Are the chicks more fragile/tender than other breeds. Had 7 hatch this week, but lost 3 within 1 day of hatching. Figured maybe the brooder plate wasn't warm enough for that particular breed and plugged in a heat lamp, though the other breeds seemed to be OK with the plate brooder, even the silkies. Ideas why I lost them?

I haven't found them to be any more fragile than other breeds. I use my heat plate brooder for them and they do fine. What were their symptoms before dying? Perhaps they had infected yolk sacs?

I haven't found them to be any more fragile than other breeds. I use my heat plate brooder for them and they do fine. What were their symptoms before dying? Perhaps they had infected yolk sacs?
the first one I found just outside the brooder plate, very cold. It was weak and not breathing well. The next two I just found by or under the brooder. The other 4 seem OK, I hope.

As my boys age I do notice more mulberry showing up in the wattles. They are 7 months old now. However since my the hurricane hit all of my girls went into a severe heavy molt! So I get no eggs from 17 hens. 2 of which are AC hens but still. ....no eggs!

Back
Top Bottom