Chicken Breed Focus - Olandsk Dwarfs

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by sumi, Aug 11, 2016.

1. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    A small bantam sized bird from Sweden, Olandsk Dwarfs are a rare breed developed on the island of Olands, from landraces known as British garden hens common to the area. Their numbers were reported to have dropped as low as 50 in the 1980's. They were imported into the US by Greenfire Farms in 2012, and they are becoming popular in the US. They are an attractive ornamental breed, make good pets, and are a good choice for someone with limited space looking for a friendly little bird. They are said to be quite flock oriented.

The hens are fair layers of small white eggs, they will go broody and make good mothers. In the US they have single combs and clean legs.

They are very colorful birds that usually come in a splashed or spangled pattern in various colors, including red, black, white, yellow and gray.

Details:

Breed purpose: Ornamental/ Eggs
    Comb Type: Single / Rose
    Broodiness: Frequent
    Climate Tolerance: Average
    Weight: Very small birds
    Egg Productivity: Fair
    Egg Size: Small
    Egg Color: White/tinted

[​IMG]
    Pic by @Sebrightsrock

[​IMG]
    Pic by @Sebrightsrock

[​IMG]
    Pic by @BLaBauve

BYC Breed Discussion:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/533977/olandsk-dwarf-chickens/0_20

Do you own Olandsk Dwarfs? Are you an Olandsk Dwarf breeder? If so, please reply to this thread with the your thoughts and experiences, including:

· What made you decide to get this breed?
    · Do you own them for fun? Breeding? Some other purpose?
    · What are your favorite characteristics about this breed?
    · Post some pics of your birds; male/female, chicks, eggs, etc!

2. BantyChooks

BantyChooks Smile Premium Member

Aug 1, 2015
    Very interesting breed!
    I have a cockerel that is the spitting image of the first bird, but I was told he was an OEGB. He probably is, considering I got the eggs for free from a backyard farmer, lol....

3. chicken4prez

chicken4prez Overrun With Chickens

They are so cute!

4. QuoVadis

QuoVadis Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2013
    Definitely a bird I hope to breed at some point - but I'll have to wait til I get out of the city!

5. Dionnab

Dionnab Just Hatched

Jun 13, 2016
    I have two hens. I have only had them a couple of months. I bought them from someone close who is breeding them. They were very shy at first but are getting used to my three big hens that they live with. Just now stared to lay. I got them because they are so beautiful and I wanted some bantams. I will post pics later.

6. Nardo

Nardo Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 26, 2014
    North Texas
    My Coop
    These are the coolest looking birds. They ought to be named Calico chickens. [​IMG]

7. NathanZee

NathanZee Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

x2, he looks like a Mille Fleur OEGB.

8. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Each week's Breed Focus is my downfall. [​IMG] Now I need to go do some research and find out where I can get my hands on a couple of these little beauties! [​IMG]

~Alex

9. Madison-Jamil

Madison-Jamil Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2015
    Oregon City, Oregon
    We just aquired a pair of Olandsk Dwarfs. Two year old hen and one year old rooster. Today we got our first egg so the couple must be settling in to their new home! [​IMG] We are very excited to have this adorable little couple join our farm/family. After she lays a few more eggs we will pop them in the incubator to check fertility. No pictures of the couple yet as they are being shy but I did take a picture of the egg. Her egg is on the left and our blue silkies egg is on the right for comparison. Pretty big egg from a small gal!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by