Chicken Breed Focus - Polish

I don't think having Polish in with other breeds is a good idea unless raised with them. Unless you have their feathers up in a ponytail, their vision is obscured. This can make them jumpy as they can't see what is coming! Also makes them easy picking for predators and bullies. I do think they are for the most part fairly highly strung birds and fragile compared to farmyard chickens but I just love them lol.

I have seven Polish. We got 9, 6 silver laced and 3 gold laced, from the hatchery and they had to be straight run. We lost two of the silver laced, but luckily ended up with just 1 rooster and 6 hens! The rooster is of course way smaller than my other roos, so he is quite timid and will be able to stay with us as long as he doesn't cause trouble. We couldn't really tell if they were hens or roos until their crests grew out totally, but it's obvious now. I have to cut the hens' crests into mohawks so they can see to get up on the roosts and to keep them from being taken by predators, since they are free ranging. We love them!
20180726_194310.jpg

20180630_142814.jpg

I especially love how they flop their heads down on the ground and you think they are dead! :gig

Great article on a fun breed! Our two silver laced polish love to hang out together - you can see them in the one pic enjoying watermelon together, and then there's a shot of just one of them from the front in the other pic. They are so funny, we love them. Can anyone tell if they are cockerels or pullets?

Attachments

• 20200714_091028.jpg
    20200714_091028.jpg
    830.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 20200714_091015.jpg
    20200714_091015.jpg
    980.8 KB · Views: 9
Even though some of my photos Might look on the photoshoped side, the're real! I picked my two polish cause, they keep going like this... " I'm awake!" : falls into sleep mode : "Wait" "was I just taking a power nap?" " Or was it just me?"
They did that LOL

We're breeders in Central Kentucky and Polish are definitely some of our favorite...

We have white crested black with black crested white in bator so we can sell Ying-Yang pairs!!! :) LOL Gold and silver laced as well as white crested blues(babies now)...

Here's a few pics:

Cochise

Elvis

Priscilla(we have a bearded version, she's Lisa Marie) ;-)

Darkstar

Xerxes

Back
Top Bottom