Chicken Breed Focus - Sebright

Pics
I've heard that Sebrights are tough to breed. Not sure if its because of their feisty attitudes, fertility issues, or difficult incubation.

They have a lot of attitude for such little chickens. They are excellent flyers too. We hatched our Sebright (2 Sebright eggs were thrown in with our Maran eggs as extras when our DD told the lady they were cute. One hatched & was used to befriend a lonely only Dominique chick who hatched about the same time. The sebright was not supposed to be a permanent flock member. Let's just say that we do not own any Marans & still have our silver sebright. LOL)

Our sebright is named Trouble & for good reasons. In order to be able to somewhat control her, we trained her to fly up on command. (DD did this as a 4H project.)
Here's the funny video:

Trouble believes she is the queen of the coop and she adds so much personality that I couldn't imagine our flock without her. The top hens sleep on the highest roost, but little Trouble sleeps above them in the window sil. (She's the only one small enough to fit there.) We did not try clipping her wing because we want her to be able to escape predators. The neighbors will call her over for visits & she will easily fly over the 4' fence to greet them. Thankfully she stays in our backyard most of the time. I believe she stays because this is where her flock stays. None of the other chickens can come close to hoping the fence. I am not sure if there were multiple Sebrights that she'd stay. The only sebright breeder we met always kept them enclosed & did not allow them to free range.

As far as holding their own, in our case Trouble has no problems living with giant English Orpingtons. Most of our hens weight about 10 lbs & our big roo is about 14. She makes up for her little size by being fast & vocal. She went broody 3xs last year. Twice I allowed her to hatch & she was an excellent, highly dedicated mama. When broody, she adopted any chick at any age and watched over them until 7 weeks old. (Our other broody will only adopt chicks in the 1st 2 days, then attack newcomers.) Because it is impossible for our giant roos to mate her, Trouble had to hatch fertile orpington eggs. The chicks grew larger than her by 3.5 weeks old, but she didn't care.

Speaking of Trouble, yesterday I brought my camera out to take some flock pics. I got this interesting pic just as Trouble took to the air. It looks like she's in a strange chicken burlesque show.
lau.gif

Here are some of Trouble's flockmates:

my giant English orp hens (These were both Trouble's babies.)

My bantam orp & persistent broody hen

a CCL

Brick -our smaller roo ( a double barred choc cuckoo orpington)

Moose - our biggest roo, a lav orp (also raised by Trouble')

Past pic of Trouble raising her 3 "babies" Moose is the one laying in the grass.

Congrats on getting all the extras! Hope you have a good hatch. Shipped eggs are a funny thing. You may get good results, but you may also get ZERO. That happened twice to us.
hit.gif
Our best hatch of shipped eggs was 75%, but anything around 50% is considered good. Backyard & local eggs usually have 90-100% hatch, so for us it is usually worth a drive to pick up fertile eggs.

The bantam eggs may hatch about 12-20 hrs early. (We only noticed through multiple hatches that the smaller breeds were the 1st chicks out.) It was never a significant difference, so we just treat all the eggs the same.

One trick with shipped eggs is to let them sit at room temp air cell up for 12-24 hr before incubation. This may help the air cells reattach. Also, if the air cell is still wiggly, you can skip turning them for the 1st day or two of incubation. (Important to turn them regularly after that.)

Our family is addicted to incubation. We like to candle the eggs at 7 & 14 days to predict which ones will hatch & exactly where the pip will be. Sebright eggs are very easy to candle. Here's our daughter candling Trouble (as an egg)

Congrats on getting all the extras! Hope you have a good hatch. Shipped eggs are a funny thing. You may get good results, but you may also get ZERO. That happened twice to us.
hit.gif
Our best hatch of shipped eggs was 75%, but anything around 50% is considered good. Backyard & local eggs usually have 90-100% hatch, so for us it is usually worth a drive to pick up fertile eggs.

The bantam eggs may hatch about 12-20 hrs early. (We only noticed through multiple hatches that the smaller breeds were the 1st chicks out.) It was never a significant difference, so we just treat all the eggs the same.

One trick with shipped eggs is to let them sit at room temp air cell up for 12-24 hr before incubation. This may help the air cells reattach. Also, if the air cell is still wiggly, you can skip turning them for the 1st day or two of incubation. (Important to turn them regularly after that.)

Our family is addicted to incubation. We like to candle the eggs at 7 & 14 days to predict which ones will hatch & exactly where the pip will be. Sebright eggs are very easy to candle. Here's our daughter candling Trouble (as an egg)
That is a sweet picture! I did not know that Sebright eggs are especially easy to candle, but they are pale... so that makes sense. Good news!

I am also addicted to hatching, I admit it. I started with peafowl eggs, and only had one chick, but she is such a darling. She is six months old now, and still cuddles in my arms, perches on my shoulder and chats with me.

Since I don 't drive these days, I rely on shipped eggs, which is not ideal.

Best result: I had a 100% hatch of the Silkie eggs that were fertile, not clear - woo hoo! I had enough to give some away to the waitress at the diner, who really wanted Silkies for her kids, and couldn't find any in winter.
Worst result: Zero from some shipped Cochin eggs, which were scrambled in transit.
Average result: Three vigorous Brahmas from six shipped eggs. 50% is not bad for shipped eggs.

I totally agree with your excellent advice. I am letting these little cuties settle in at room temperature for a full 24 hours before setting them, to give those air cells the best chance of stabilizing.

I am naughty about candling. I candle about five times, instead of just twice. Someone should slap my hand. I just love seeing the wiggly embryos, though.

Back
Top Bottom