1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken breeders or Folks in South Africa?

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by FRANCOIS, Nov 9, 2011.

1. HelenDescoins

HelenDescoins Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2014
    Durban, South Africa
    Beeaautiful Chickie's! Is henry also a Cochin?? No chickens don't mate for life but what happens (I've noticed with my babies) is that if a hen that the rooster mates with goes broody and will start laying from him, that roo will assist the hen to find a nest and never leave her until she has found a nest that she settles in (sooooo cute!)
    I'm so sorry about your baby, maybe she was sick so she didn't want to eat or she was a runt and the others pecked her around so she couldn't eat much, one of my babies is a runt and gets that a lot so I have to sit with her while the others are feeding and hand feed her myself

2. whoop whoop

whoop whoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2015
    Rainbow Nation
    Yes Henry is a cochin, and you are right he hasn;t left her side. I think Flour died because she sat of her eggs for weeks and didn't eat but once they hatched she just gave up from not eating. I am seriously going to have to make sure Molly eats while she is on her eggs, I won;t let that happen again. Chiseri took over being mother and has been a wonderful caring mother to the babies.

[​IMG]

3. hedz82

hedz82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2012
    I have heard that brooding can be really hard on them, because they dont drink or eat. I always stop mine from doing it immediatelty. no, chickens dont mate for life and are generally promiscuous, but I am sure they can form friendships..
    If you like black things you will love these: some pics of black german shepherds from google

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And as a bonus, as this is a chicken site, ayam rooster:

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2015
  4. whoop whoop

Apr 26, 2015
    Rainbow Nation
    Wow, would love that bird - those dogs look like they don't shed like normal German Shepherds - they are beautiful. Still love mine best though!!!!

5. whoop whoop

Apr 26, 2015
    Rainbow Nation
    Just wanted to say have a good monday but had power cut, bit late now! always getting cut off in my prime (as it were) Do you have as many power cuts as us up here? everyone says the Cape works better?

6. whoop whoop

Apr 26, 2015
    Rainbow Nation
    OMG did you hear about the American tourist that got eaten to death at our Lion Park, we live so close. They are LIONS when will tourists learn not to open windows not to get out of the car, not to mess with them. This is going to do wonders for our tourist trade and its not the first time some Japense also got killed.

They are not pussy cats and they are seriously dangerous animals, especially kept 'under un lion circumstances' Don't get me wrong its really lovely but not completley wild. I wish tourists would learn wild life is WILD life

sorry venting

7. HelenDescoins

Oct 25, 2014
    Durban, South Africa
    Ohhh yes I heard! Stupid tourists, I agree to you. Watch them go and have to kill this poor iniscent lion for nothing now because of these tourists thinking they can go and stroke them (lol) sorry I just get so angry, this isn't the first tourist!

8. HelenDescoins

Oct 25, 2014
    Durban, South Africa
    Oh wow those dogs are gorgeous!! I absolutely love German shepherds didn't know you got black ones. And those chickens ... Omg! I need one of those they are stunning!

9. whoop whoop

Apr 26, 2015
    Rainbow Nation
    Thank you for agreeing - stupid bloody tourists they give us such a bad name and they breed the most beautiful lions - white ones and tigers (I know) but they have to live somewhere why noy Africa

check chameleonvillage.co.za this where it happened

10. hedz82

hedz82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2012
    Such retards. I am not a fan of keeping lions in small enclosures but I don't know the circumstances.. I guess I am a bit of a misanthrope but I always have to laugh when that happens. Its not good for tourism though and we need tourism to conserve our wildlife.. Its basically paying for it.. And yes, watch those idiots kill the lion now because it's "aggressive" and "teaching the other lions bad behaviour", I get so angry as well.
    We also keep having power cuts in the most inconvenient times. But it is quite well organised according to suburbs, so you do know upfront when its going to happen. Is that the same up there?

Sadly, those lions will never contribute to conservation when they have interacted with humans as cubs..they can never be rehabilitated because they are not scared of humans now and very dangerous. They usually end up as pets or in canned lion hunts. very sad.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by