Chicken breeders or Folks in South Africa?

Pics
Whoopwhoop I have Brahmas and they are very serious when they are broody. It is a hormonal thing . If the Brahmas are broody I found that they will stay broody and still not eat or drink enough and keep on sitting even in the open field or on the lawn or where ever they are.
It is much easier to let them sit and have chicks than to let the broodiness carry on and on. You know your birds the best and I know it is different for different breeds of chickens.
I breed for show but sometimes it is not breeding season and I do not want to deal with chicks and then I have a broody hen. The easiest way for me to handle such a situation is to let the hen sit for a few days and then I give her day old broiler chicks to look after. Broiler chicks have to be slaughtered at about 3-4 months. If you do not want to do that yourself you will find a market at the nearest taxi rank. It might sound cruel but they die of heart failure if you let them get much older than 6 months.
The worst I had was when my pride and joy pullet got broody 2 weeks before the show and I could not put her on the show

Whoopwhoop I have Brahmas and they are very serious when they are broody. It is a hormonal thing . If the Brahmas are broody I found that they will stay broody and still not eat or drink enough and keep on sitting even in the open field or on the lawn or where ever they are.
It is much easier to let them sit and have chicks than to let the broodiness carry on and on. You know your birds the best and I know it is different for different breeds of chickens.
I breed for show but sometimes it is not breeding season and I do not want to deal with chicks and then I have a broody hen. The easiest way for me to handle such a situation is to let the hen sit for a few days and then I give her day old broiler chicks to look after. Broiler chicks have to be slaughtered at about 3-4 months. If you do not want to do that yourself you will find a market at the nearest taxi rank. It might sound cruel but they die of heart failure if you let them get much older than 6 months.
The worst I had was when my pride and joy pullet got broody 2 weeks before the show and I could not put her on the show
Yes, I can see Molly is very intent, gave her some vitamins this morning, she has only one egg!! so will let her carry on and do her thing. Henry the Roo is very proective of her and sits with her all day, so I suppose you can say he is broody as well!! OMG don't honestly think I could do the taxi rank thing although its a brilliant idea. Where do you show? I love to see some pics of your 'pride and joy'
love.gif

I live in KZN and we have at the moment the Royal show going in PMB. We debench this coming Sunday. They will then be a week at the show. At the end of June we plan to travel to Bredasdorp in the Cape for the SAPO national Champs. Would be glad if all in that region attend the show. It is a beautiful sound to see and hear 2500 chickens of all shapes and sizes at one place. Last year the SASPO nationals was in Cullinan near Pretoria

hedz82, no luck whatsoever they don't stock animal zone anymore and can't offer anyone up here. Haven't given up but going that way!!!
sorry to hear that. good luck with your broody- let us know how it goes. maybe it will go away quicker if you leave them, I am not an expert, can only say what I have done with my two girls.. how sweet of your roo to guard her like that!

Last edited:
Thanks, it is sooo cold here today and the wind is horrific never known it to blow like this up here, straight off the antartic, and we ran out of gas this morning so my poor daughter had a freezing shower,have kept the chicks in today much to their disgust - I am frightened they will blow away.
sorry to hear that. good luck with your broody- let us know how it goes. maybe it will go away quicker if you leave them, I am not an expert, can only say what I have done with my two girls.. how sweet of your roo to guard her like that!

Back
Top Bottom