Chicken can't walk

Grams56

Chirping
Oct 19, 2021
Gilbert, South Carolina
I have an adopted rock. I have had her for a couple of months now. Don't know how old she is but she doesn't lay eggs. I just cleared up vent gleet. Now her belly drags on the ground the little that she can walk. Only 18 months into raising chickens. I do have 3 other chickens doing fine.

Attachments

• 20220715_082529.jpg
    20220715_082529.jpg
    293.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 20220715_082527.jpg
    20220715_082527.jpg
    382.5 KB · Views: 4
This morning I went to Tractor Supply and purchased 60cc syringe and 18 gauge needle. Extracted 12 Oz. of fluid. She is inside in a large dog crate with a/c. She is still dripping fluid, but she is standing up eating and drinking. I'll check her belly tomorrow to see if she needs emptying again. What a learning experience. Thank you. I got her from a friend who takes in chickens. We have no idea how old she is. Thank you again

This morning I went to Tractor Supply and purchased 60cc syringe and 18 gauge needle. Extracted 12 Oz. of fluid. She is inside in a large dog crate with a/c. She is still dripping fluid, but she is standing up eating and drinking. I'll check her belly tomorrow to see if she needs emptying again. What a learning experience. Thank you. I got her from a friend who takes in chickens. We have no idea how old she is. Thank you again
What color was the fluid? She will be dripping for a bit. She should be feeling much better. If you did not know there is no cure for ascites, also ascites is usually a symptom of something else going such as cancer or a reproductive disorder. The fluid will build up and you will have to drain her again. I had a hen pass from ascites a couple days ago, I didn't drain her though.
Your welcome!

What color was the fluid? She will be dripping for a bit. She should be feeling much better. If you did not know there is no cure for ascites, also ascites is usually a symptom of something else going such as cancer or a reproductive disorder. The fluid will build up and you will have to drain her again. I had a hen pass from ascites a couple days ago, I didn't drain her though.
Your welcome!
Aww. I'm so sorry to hear about your hen passing. The fluid was a light yellow. I guess I will be drawing fluid for a while. She just sleeps alot. Thank you for all your knowledge

Aww. I'm so sorry to hear about your hen passing. The fluid was a light yellow. I guess I will be drawing fluid for a while. She just sleeps alot. Thank you for all your knowledge
I really wasn't expecting her to pass that day. She was a Leghorn from TSC and was 5 years old, that's pretty good for her breed, age, and where I got her from! Her sister died almost a year ago with ascites, I kept her alive for awhile and never drained her!
Depending on the color of the fluid can tell what is wrong with her, I don't remember what light yellow would mean but I think @azygous, @Wyorp Rock, or @Eggcessive would know.
Happy to help!

Sounds like you are doing what you can for her. The draining may give her temporary relief and make her more comfortable.
Hard to know what the underlying condition is that is causing the Ascites, but with laying hens, it's often a reproductive issue.

You may want to consider giving her a detox which may help with fluid accumulation. This can be used instead of or with draining. That's up to you. Some have seen good results. The underlying condition still exists, but this can be added as a supportive care measure.

Color of fluids...it can vary. There are a few thoughts in the link below.

Aloe Detox as an alternative to draining
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-breath-if-you-hold-her.1284253/post-20750855

Thoughts on fluid colors
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/sick-chicken-with-big-belly.1204480/#post-19098784

Back
Top Bottom