chicken coop heater pictures

Quote:
lau.gif
Have you tried to talk to them about that habit? Its really bad for them, you'll get eggs with green yolks as well.

thought i'd add my 2 cents ...

i *try* to be logical about my chickens, i only have 6 girls but i'm fortunate enough to have a large coop for them; 8x8x10.

i only have the roof area insulated, not the walls. i figured most of the heat would be lost through the roof, and when it came to retro-outfitting the coop insulating the roof was more than enough work to make me NOT want to do the walls.
it's 99% draft free, and the 1% that has a draft provides decent ventilation. i've NEVER had moisture problems, even in the heat of august. bone dry in thar.

it's a peaked roof. the roost is set up so it's above the insulation line.
i have a heater i bought for $30 at tractor supply suspended from the ceiling. it's set to turn on & off around 25-35 degree's.

do the chickens need heat? no.
do i feel better knowing they're not freezing their tailfeathers off? yes
does my electric bill go up? a little bit

last year the heater rarely turned on. the insulated area held the 30 degree temps nicely, and my chickens remained *gasp!* healthy.

heating to a balmy 70degree's is impractical.
heating to keep the deep freeze at bay is sensible. keeps the water & eggs from freezing instantly and all my girls still have their combs. and i personally don't see anything wrong with that.

do what you feel is right for your situation.

countryboy wrote:
"I don't heat their coop at all, it's ventilated and at least 5-6 inches of shavings on the floor, if they get cold they just light up a cigarette and pass it around."

I suppose they also wear duck tails and leather jackets...
lol.png

I place a heat lamp above the water containers and also have sealed oil filled electric heaters for just in case but so far have only used the heat lamps above the water and the bulbs are 65 watts.

The only problem I have so far is the "roll around" coop the BO's are in is not ventilated enough so am going to "fix" that problem asap! It's also not insulated while the others are. I got sick and didn't get to it on that one. Looks like it'll have to wait for next Spring now and Brewster the rooster is okay so far w/his single comb and wattles but if I'm watching him and will turn on the heater if needed, its adjustable.

Oh, one more problem in that coop, those BO hens were unplugging their heat lamp so I had to amend that problem
roll.png

Our coop is totally insulated, and DH had to put a heater in it also....(he kinda over does things). I dont think we ever have turned it on except when we where painting the coop and wanted it to dry faster, LOL
But anyways....here it is.
100_0009-2.jpg

100_0013-5.jpg

100_0007-2.jpg

Well your lucky enough to live in a pretty mild climate except for the dampness of course. We worry warts are living in areas where it gets well below freezing and sometimes below 0
caf.gif

We're not planning on heating the coop this winter...and when I say "heating the coop" I mean putting a regular light bulb in a reflector hanging over their main roost when it gets to single digits. I've repaired most of the major leaks in the wall construction, and I think their natural down coats will do the rest.
If that doesn't keep 'em warm, then running around trying to avoid the undying attentions of Roody, our new roo certainly ought to do it!
yippiechickie.gif

I have two well-insulated/ventilated, 4'x8'x8' coops. We're having non-stop below freezing weather. I'm keeping reptile heat bulbs on 24/7, and no matter how low it gets the 60-watt and 150-watt bulb combination in each of the two coops keep the coops 14*F warmer than whatever the outside temperature.

Quote:
Eggsactly!
wee.gif

Ok, The non heaters please. I've read the posts already. I want more insight into "heating" as stated. Just keeping it above freezing. I mean no bad feelings and do not intend it to be a debate over the heating/non heating issue.
big_smile.png

The Super Coop has a heater like this and was previously used as a breeding dog building. It's like this one in the link but larger...
http://www2.northerntool.com/heaters-stoves-fireplaces/propane/item-177653.htm

That scares me because I see LOTS of dust particles floating around. I have VERY rare breeds and some not so rare to not rare at all.
big_smile.png
I want to keep the birds from freezing combs, frostbite toes etc. I live in TN and it would very rarely need to be on. Maybe 10 nights out of the complete winter.

I had a couple of Marans freeze a few years ago and it's not pretty what happened to them. My hen "Copper" is still alive and doing fine with absolutely no toes and a high priced vet bill. I watch the weather and on the nights where it drops to 30- I'd like peace of mind I won't wake up to that horror again. Copper had at least 2 to 3 ft of bedding to keep her and the others warm. 2 of the 3 frostbit and the 3rd had none but he is a super poofy Silkie.

My hubby Rick said to cut down on the dust to remove the bedding in the winter and use old carpet or rugs on their feet.
idunno.gif
I have a lot of old carpet I can have 2+ sets. While one is being cleaned and dried the other will be used. I have an auto watering system so it does not get wet. The bays are 4x4 so the carpet would not be cumbersome to do this. (Please, I know carpet can have Formalyhyde and other things) It's eco friendly wool carpet.

What are your thoughts about his idea? He says shop vac and wash with the power washer when the cold eases in the daytime. It's the nights where it drops that low.

As far as molds and bacteria, I use Tek-Trol regularly. The droppings are mostly dry. I use DE (Thats dusty too:th)in their food and vinegar in the watering system. The super coop also has 3 ceiling fans.
hide.gif

Here's the link...
smile.png

http://family.webshots.com/album/569528662ajsYsC

Last edited:
smile.png
www.shopthecoop.com specializes in coop heating. They offer Solar water dishes that do not require electiric. I personally make each ceramic heater that does in nesting boxes, so eggs don't freeze. I also have heated water bowls for sale, that can be used for all pets. I feel the heaters we offer are made in the USA and offer tremendous value and a 1 year warranty.

Not every area needs a heater, some may want a ceramic heater bulb which emits light not heat. We also sell the safest heaters, and the safest outlets to regulate temperature.

I hope this helps! I used to worry about freezing eggs and water bowls, but I don't have to anymore.

Back
Top Bottom