Chicken developing prolapse vent

FrozenRed

In the Brooder
Apr 12, 2018
So today when I went to check on my three golden seabrights and my serama rooster I went through the usual routine of checking everybody for eggs cause I didn't have three in the box (Temps are getting hotter so they're laying less so I wasn't concerned at first). The last few days they'd gotten to where they're laying later in the day so I felt the head hen had an egg but it felt pretty far along the channel almost right behind her vent. So I left her be for a bit and when I went out later to check on her there was no progress and she freaked out when I started feeling and her insides poked out of her vent. This makes me think she's developing a prolapse by itself but when I felt for the egg with Vaselined fingers I could feel the egg but there was a layer of skin over it and I can't find the hole it should be coming out of. So my question is how do I prevent it from becoming prolapsed? Can I? I know that survival seems to be slim once a chicken gets a prolapsed vent so I'm really hoping it's not gonna progress to that.

I’ve only dealt with it once so I’m not sure if it can be partially prolapsed but either way your best bet is to go ahead and clean the area to get a good look at it.

And chances aren’t as slim as you think. Mine got a prolapsed event And I’m watching her eat grass right now. Is there blood?. I would definitely remove her from the others though because they will pick at it if it is prolapsed

I’ve only dealt with it once so I’m not sure if it can be partially prolapsed but either way your best bet is to go ahead and clean the area to get a good look at it.
Well it's quite clean I went ahead and did an Epsom salt bath like you're supposed to with egg bound hens. The problem is is its all inside so I can't actually see anything. The insides coming out was short and they went right back in when she calmed down. I think it means if she pushes though she's gonna push her insides out...

And chances aren’t as slim as you think. Mine got a prolapsed event And I’m watching her eat grass right now. Is there blood?. I would definitely remove her from the others though because they will pick at it if it is prolapsed
No there's no blood and I separated her as soon as I suspected there was a problem. But there's nothing for them to peck at yet, I want to prevent it from becoming prolapsed because I suspect it's going to happen.

I have heard sometimes a prolapse vent will go back inOn its own. Are you sure it’s her that isn’t la on its own. Are you sure it’s her that isn’t laying. You may have to confine her to get her to stop l you may have to confine her to get her to stop playing laying If she is. Now that it’s gone back and does everything look normal? I would keep her separated like you have her for now

I'm gonna watch her for a few days to make sure the next ones don't come out prolapsed but I'm ecstatic that she got it out! Such a pretty egg too
20180622_142857.jpg

Back
Top Bottom