How many roosters can live together happily?

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • more

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • only 1

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

munchkinlover

Songster
Oct 6, 2019
NW Arkansas
Hi ya'll. Glad to find this site!!! I am a first time mother of 13 wonderful birds. They consist of 2 Silver Wyandotte, 3 Black Australorp, 3 Easter Eggers & 5 Golden Wyandotte. We didn't get exactly what we ordered and ended up with 3 roosters, but they really get along fine (at least for now). I love my birds! They bring me joy and peace. My favorite thing to do is sit and watch and listen to them and just be with them. My biggest problem is wanting to give them treats, all the time! I love my treats so I know they do too. I don't have eggs yet, but that's only a small part of what I wanted them for, so I'm ok with that. Being new, I am really looking forward to learning important things from all of you. Thank you in advance!

B7DED000-9A0F-4FA5-87BB-21BAC855230C.jpeg

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
The three cockerels getting along for now is normal. Once the hormones start flowing, that will change and the pullets will suffer from it.
I highly recommend that you stop feeding all the treats. It will eventually cause health issues for the chickens. Many a chicken has been killed by too many treats.
What I like to do is toss a handful of organic chick starter crumble out for the chickens. THEY think it's a treat but it is a nutritionally complete feed. Everyone is happy.

:welcome
Until a couple of months ago I would have said that I had 7 cockerals, 3 hens, and 9 pullets, and the rooster fought a lot. Now I have 3 roosters, 2 hens, and 7 pullets, and they get along pretty well.
Both hens are molting and not laying, and only 3 of the pullets are laying, and only one of the roos is interested in mating. We are doing fine, though I plan on getting more pullets as soon as possible.

Back
Top Bottom