Chicken dying from mite infestation, help!

M Brennen

Songster
Jun 15, 2020
Northern Vermont
I currently have a bird dying of a severe mite infestation. She started with what appeared to be sour crop. I brought her inside and tried treating her for that. She stopped eating and I never realized she was so infested with mites i
until two weeks later when I was covered in them. I treated her and both my coops with Elector PSP. None of my other birds appear as dire as she does. It’s been 5 days since treatment and she is still completely covered in mites. Temperatures here are currently in the 20 degree range. Is there anything I can do for her?

Thank you. It has been a rough couple of weeks trying to get her to eat, get rid of the mites, etc. I have ordered the Ectoline and will use it promptly.
Yes it’s always rough trying to save them we have one that’s been sick a few times with digestional issues he’s been staying in the house with us for almost a month now finally getting better. If you truly love your birds you’ll go above and beyond. I hope the ectoline works for you it’s good stuff. Best wishes.

What is in it? How does it compare with Elector PSP? Unfortunately, I fear by the time I get it, it will be too late for my sick bird.
I can’t remember right off the top of my head I will have to go get the bottle. I’ve had birds with serious mites before apply the drops and they fall off in your hand. It’s the best mite control I’ve ever used. I’ve tried permethrin 10 seven dust frontline spray adams spray and it by far last the longest. But if she does still appear to have sour crop
Issues bread with yogurt is your best bet. It’ll put good bacteria in her gut.

If your methods don't resolve the mite situation, you have to wash her in a sink or tub with dishwashing soap. It's the same method you use to clean a dog.

But since she's prone to chills. Use 2 towels, one to soak up excess moisture, second one to wrap her up in and placed under a heat lamp or blowdry her off.

Chicken Update:

I sent her in to be euthanized this morning. She was so thin and weak I feel should could not possibly recover and I couldn’t put her through any more. I do believe she had something else like cancer as well to allow the mite infestation to get so bad. None of my other birds are that bad. After all the treatmets she had, they were still many many still active on her this morning. Poor bird. I will definitely try the other mite treatments mentioned, thank you.
Sorry to hear you lost her but you give it your best shot. I raise American gamefowl and mites are a huge issue the ectoline has been amazing for me.

I use Pen, & Poultry. It's premixed Permethrin Spray. It wiped out all the lice from my birds. Now I just need to get rid of Scaly Leg Mites. Bantam coop has it worse.
Use scarlet oil on there legs to kill leg mites. I prefer the one that has the dauber so you can just brush it on them. Keeps them from being so dry and flakey also kills the leg mites on contact.

Use scarlet oil on there legs to kill leg mites. I prefer the one that has the dauber so you can just brush it on them. Keeps them from being so dry and flakey also kills the leg mites on contact.
I don't have scarlet oil. I was thinking a Permethrin powder, & Petroleum Jelly mix on the legs.

Back
Top Bottom